PDA

View Full Version : About time I figured it out

Knit4Pie
10-26-2007, 11:20 AM
I just had a Homer Simpson "D'oh" moment. I mean really slap my forehead and call myself 10 kinds of idiot. I wondered if anyone else has ever had a problem that seemed impossible, but ended up having the simplest solution??

I've been working on DPNs for a couple of months now...made about 4 pairs of gloves. I was always confused when instructions said to "...join for working in the round" When I watched the video, Amy would just start knitting the first st without doing anything special. I then thought it was just an expression that meant to start knitting.

I always thought it awkward doing the first round, because my 1st and 3rd needles were always separate. I decided today (about 10 rnds into a glove) to figure it out, maybe ask the question. I then had a flash of insight. I was starting to knit from what should have been the 3rd needle! I think I got confused because I use the long-cast on, but probably just had it stuck in my head to do it that way and subconsciously ignored anything that suggested differently.

Jan in CA
10-26-2007, 01:55 PM
I think we've all had a moment where that happened. :thumbsup:

AngMac
10-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Don't worry you aren't the only one to have moments like that. I was taking a class at my LYS and the owner had a Doh! moment right in the middle of the workshop and all 8 of us had to rip out the entire project we were working on. It happens to be best of us.

Knit4Pie
10-26-2007, 02:31 PM
I'd been trying to figure it out since I started. It would just never click together, then for some reason it did. I told myself "Of course that's how to do it!" and now I don't see how I didn't get it before. It was just too funny to me not to share!

cindycactus
10-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Good for you! I love those "Of Course" moments.:yay: :cheering: :woohoo:

Marj
10-26-2007, 07:49 PM
I had the same when I kept reading here about people prefering to knit using only circular needles even forr flat work. I couldn't understand how it could be done. I thought you would have to us 2 circulars.

So I kept looking at patterns for flat things worked on circs to see if they said you had to have 2 circs in the same size. None of them did so I still couldn't figure it out.

So finally I just decided to try it and lo and behold it was actually very easy to figure out with it right in front of you.

lelvsdgs
10-26-2007, 11:19 PM
We all have those moments. I've been knitting for almost 40 years and just now figured out why my seams never looked quite right. I'd been doing it wrong for all those years... thanks to the videos on here, I finally got it.:??