PDA

View Full Version : good substitute for lionbrand homespun?

efooey
10-26-2007, 11:35 AM
I've read some bad reviews of this yarn (it looks worn quickly, doesn't hold shape etc.) so I'm looking for a replacement. Any ideas?

E

suzeeq
10-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Depends what you're making. Homespun knits up okay on larger needles (11s or 13s), not size 10s, and for scarves, blankets, shawls, hats, even sweaters. Otherwise sub any other bulky yarn. Though I might add that almost any bulky yarn on size 10s is too tight a knit and would be better a size or two larger.

Becky Morgan
10-27-2007, 11:13 AM
I've never had any trouble with Homespun "looking worn"...my years-old shawl still gets compliments every time I wear it. As far as holding shape, no, it doesn't; it's intended for things that drape. It never will take any kind of hard shape because that's not the nature of the yarn--poofy sleeves on a sweater, stiff brims on caps, etc. are never going to happen with HS alone (though you might be able to strand it with wool and felt the wool.)

Suzeeq is right about it, or any other bulky, if it's knitted too tightly. The shawl I'm working on right now is on 13s, and even though I'm a rather loose knitter it looks right. I can't imagine what it would look like on 10s, but it would be a bear to work with.

knitgal
10-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I knit the Fast Finish throw on the Lion Brand site and used Patons Shetland Chunky instead of Homespun simply because it's more readily available to me. I've heard that Plymouth Encore Chunky is a really nice acrylic blend and is what i would use if I were to make another throw out of chunky yarn.

feministmama
10-27-2007, 11:32 AM
It's kind of a chunky boucle so any other bulky/chunky boucle I guess would work :shrug:

Shandeh
10-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Hobby Lobby makes a yarn that looks exactly the same, and seems to hold up just fine. It's called "Yarn Bee Fleece Lite".
http://www.craftsetc.com/store/department.aspx?dep=20&cat=66&subcat=38