PDA

View Full Version : Oh Magic Loop, where have you been all my life??

Mommy22alyns
10-26-2007, 12:44 PM
:inlove: I think I am in love... this should be taught as the first method for doing socks instead of DPNs! I was trying to knit socks for my girls with the most gorgeous bright multicolored sock yarn from my LYS. With gauge checking and horrible ladders between needles, I was completely at my wit's end! I have the Getting Started Knitting Socks book, so I turned to the description of Magic Loop. Working it out in my hands made it easier to understand, and after a few rounds I'm getting the most beautiful, perfect little kid sock!! NO LADDERS!!! :woohoo:

Now I may become a sock knitter... or at least truly enjoy making them!
There is still a purpose in me having the sock knitter's set of Harmony DPN's, right?

astonh
10-26-2007, 12:49 PM
I have a little sock yarn and have considered venturing in the sock realm and have thought about Magic Loop. I'm still a bit chicken. HOWEVER, after reading your post, I MIGHT just get the nerves up to give it a shot!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

rissa
10-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Congrats! I just recently finished a baby sweater and didn't have the dpn's for the sleeves. So I thought it was my time for magic loop. And I love it!! I've made 2 hats since with the same method, no ladders and even consistent stitching. LOVE IT!!

knitting4-2girls
10-26-2007, 01:09 PM
I used dpn's to make one hat then decided that I HAD to try Magic Loop. I loved it. Funny how something so simple can change your life. Instead of hating to make hats; thats what I am making for Christmas gifts.

losnana
10-26-2007, 01:16 PM
I totally agree!! I've tried dpns several times over the years and always ending up frogging the item, putting the dpns away and moving onto something else. Then I discovered ML. I will NEVER use dpns for sleeves, hats, socks or anything else that may come along. Whoever came up with this method is a GENIUS, and I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't already love dpns.

suzeeq
10-26-2007, 01:55 PM
I didn't come up with it, but 30 years ago I discovered that I could knit small diameters on long circs by moving my sts over to the left part of the needle and loop the right needle to knit with. If I didn't have enough stitches, I pulled the cord through on the left side too. I'm sure I'm not the only one to figure this out way back when...

losnana
10-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Well, you're a genius.

speattle
10-26-2007, 03:54 PM
I discovered ML a few years ago and it has revolutionized my knitting life!

I knit sleeves with it, thumbs on mittens, hats, socks, seamless sweaters...I love this technique!

jjminarcik
10-26-2007, 04:55 PM
I can do Magic Loop thanks to Silver's tutorial! So thank you, Silver! And hooray for Magic Loop!!!!

G J
10-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I didn't come up with it, but 30 years ago I discovered that I could knit small diameters on long circs by moving my sts over to the left part of the needle and loop the right needle to knit with. If I didn't have enough stitches, I pulled the cord through on the left side too. I'm sure I'm not the only one to figure this out way back when...
So very possibly, you ARE the inventor! From all of us who recently discovered it, THANK YOU!!!:cheering::hug:

kschmitz
10-26-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm getting ready to tackle the Tangled Yoke Cardigan, and I'm seriously considering learning ML with the sleeves. Thanks for the encouraging post! I can do it! :happydance:

lelvsdgs
10-26-2007, 10:58 PM
I just watched the video for this at work (shhhh don't tell anyone) and now I think I understand it and just have to try it. I'm a visual learner and watching how she manipulated the needles finally made it make sense.

suzeeq
10-26-2007, 11:30 PM
As I said, I doubt I'm the only one who came up with this method. of Troy (Helen) is about the same age as I am, and has been knitting about as long and I believe she posted somewhere once about doing the same thing years ago. Someone else did too, then shared it with others and they shared it and now almost everyone knows about it.

hummingbird
10-27-2007, 11:16 PM
I love magic loop. It just seems so easy. Plus I like knitting both socks at once, so I don't forget how I did the first one. :p

Knitting_Guy
10-27-2007, 11:22 PM
I LOVE ML! I am so glad I discovered and tried it on my very first sock attempt.

chan58
10-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Yes I am wanting to learn how to knit socks using magic loop, I am afraid of dpn's so it's magic loop or nothin for me. I have watched the video on this site a few times but haven't yet tackled it but I am going to and soon! :cheering:

twowackykids
10-28-2007, 06:19 PM
I LOVE magic loop. My stitches are way more even and it's way faster than using DPNs. Because I can knit socks way faster with magic loop than I did with DPNs I'm on a mission to knit enough pairs of socks for this winter so I'll never have to wear store bought socks again. As of right now, I'm doing pretty well.

Is there a video/instructions on how to knit both socks at once using magic loop? I was going to try to figure it out myself after I'm done with the sock currently on the needles, but it would be a lot easier to have instructions.

G J
10-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Silver has a tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2mlsocks_start.htm)for two at once toe-up socks. I'm making it now as my second pair of socks. I did my first one toe-up, too, but did just one at a time. I seriously think two at once is EASIER!!! The only thing I did differently was to use the Turkish (http://misocrafty.squarespace.com/journal/2006/1/30/turkish-cast-on-tutorial.html)cast on. I think it's easier than the figure-8 CO.

ItsBecca
10-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Magic Loop is so totally fab!

twowackykids
10-28-2007, 10:23 PM
I looked at Silver's, but I like making cuff down socks. I did find a tutorial after a quick Google search, so I think I'll be ok. Thanks though!

msmelody
10-29-2007, 03:00 AM
Hey Twowackykids, were did you find your tutorial? I love cuff down socks and learning Magic Loop as soon as my book arrives. Please share the goody knowledge.

losnana
10-29-2007, 06:38 AM
Is there a video/instructions on how to knit both socks at once using magic loop? I was going to try to figure it out myself after I'm done with the sock currently on the needles, but it would be a lot easier to have instructions.

Try this one:http://www.knitaddicted.com/files/MagicLoop.pdf

WandaT
10-29-2007, 06:58 AM
Well I just tried ML yesterday. Also tried the using 2 circulars. I have to say that for me ML was much easier! Now I'm on a mission to go get some more needles today!

Brandy_m
10-29-2007, 07:33 AM
I learned ML this weekend too!! OMGoodness! LOVED it! Never goin back to DPN's again :grin:

twowackykids
10-31-2007, 08:13 AM
I found the same one that losnana posted. So thanks to losnana!

rosie9714
10-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Okay, I am a very beginning knitter (only about 6 months) and I have been making stocking caps for Christmas gifts. I love the knitting in the round, but when moving over the the dpns I just seem to lose it.

I watched the tutorial and have a question.

1. If I am starting on 16" circular needles, would I switch first to a longer cable needle before starting the magic loop? As it is, I am starting on the 16" circular until it's too tight and then switching over.

I think I will give the magic loop a try this afternoon, but not sure if I should try it with my hat in progess. It would help a lot with moving the markers for the stitches since that has given me a lot of trouble with these hats. I have been losing my mind trying to space the stitches on the dpns without dropping or losing the stitch markers.

thanks in advance-sorry if it was already explained!

MrsDavis3
10-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Magic Loop requires a very long cable.

WandaT
10-31-2007, 09:55 AM
I sort of had the same question. I have a pattern that starts out on a 16" cord then switches to DPNs when decreasing at the top. Would you just start the project on the 40" cord using the ML technique?

rissa
10-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Thats what I did with my girls' hats, just started with ML. Here is one of them.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2365/1697038479_03d2625bc6.jpg

Worked really well for me, that way I didn't have to worry about switching over.

suzeeq
10-31-2007, 10:39 AM
I've done hats on 24 or 29" needles, you don't need to have a 40" one, for me that would get in the way.

BostonBecca
10-31-2007, 11:47 AM
I love Magic Loop, DPN's are just a pain to me. Yay for all the Loopers!

kitkat
10-31-2007, 01:50 PM
I can't believe I stayed away from this because I thought it was too hard. Wowza!

Sharly
10-31-2007, 03:22 PM
Ok - when I get my options for Christmas, I'm going to give this a try!!

G J
10-31-2007, 05:26 PM
If your cable is REALLY flexible (like KP's or AT's) you can knit ML on shorter cabled circs. I made some potholders with 24" circs. I started on the outside and knit them circularly, decreasing every other row until I got to the center. (You can see the pattern and instructions on my Ravelry page. I'm GinaKnits.) I just let the cable pop out where it needed to as I knit.

losnana
10-31-2007, 06:55 PM
I've done hats on 24 or 29" needles, you don't need to have a 40" one, for me that would get in the way.
I agree. I'd only use a 40 inch for something really big around. I just start on whatever length I'm goiing to end up with.

KnittingCommuter
11-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Since it is fast becoming "hat and mitten" season, I guess I better jump in and learn Magic Loop since I absolutely hate the dreaded dpn's. Thanks for the post. It gives me courage to try this method.