PDA

View Full Version : noob here need a little help please

wigdog
10-26-2007, 12:51 PM
um yah ok so im a guy thats want to knit but i dont think im doing it right are you suppose to be able to see through the knitting or is it suppose to be solid im really confused any help would be apperciated very gracously :oops:

rissa
10-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Congrats on taking up knitting! We have quite a few guys here. As far as seeing through your knitting, it really depends on the size of needle compared to the thickness of the yarn you are using. Can you post a pic of what you have done? Any particular pattern you are using?

Just want to encourage you. Many times your first finished piece will have several mistakes, just chalk it up as a learning experience. This site has wonderful video's on the link at the top of the page called "view videos" Good luck to ya and let us know if we can help in any way

msoebel
10-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Look at your yarn label...it will have a little box that tells you what size your needle "should" be.

Look at the end of your needle. Is that size bigger than the size on the yarn? If it is, you are knitting at a looser gauge.

If that isn't the problem, I would strongly suggest checking out some of the videos on this site (great close up videos of Amy's hands as she knits and explains what she is doing!) It could be that you are creating yarn overs accidentally. Look at the outer edges of you work? Is it getting bigger? A yarn over is a way to increase the number of stitches in a row.
Misty

wigdog
10-26-2007, 01:03 PM
um thanks but i dont have camera at moment or i would theres a few mistakes but thats cause i didnt bother to pay attention when i made it guess thats how it goes i want to get to where i can um (looks around) knit my self a pair of fuzzy socks/slippers its on size us 10.5 needles

suzeeq
10-26-2007, 01:06 PM
That's a larger needle than most people would used for worsted/ regular yarn, but I use it all the time. It's a good size for scarves, but you might want slipper socks a little tighter knit. If you think it's too loose, you can go down a size or 2, to 9s or 10s.