PDA

View Full Version : please tell me this gets easier

Ginnyb
10-26-2007, 03:22 PM
I am knitting my first adult sweater , top down, no seams and the sleeves got too small for cirulars and I had to switch to DPNS! Yikes! I feel like I am working with an octopus! I was doing so well up until now!
Ginny

MMario
10-26-2007, 03:29 PM
yes, it gets easier. Are you using 4 needles total or five? Some people find it easier one way - some the other.

Another option would be to knit with TWO circs; half the stitches on each.

speattle
10-26-2007, 03:56 PM
I have two words for you:
MAGIC LOOP
and two more words for you:
ADDI-TURBOS

G J
10-26-2007, 05:04 PM
YES! Try Magic Loop. You need circulars that have a very flexible cord and are at least a few inches (6?) or more LONGER than the circle you are knitting. Personally, I prefer Knit Picks, but Addi Turbos are good, too, just more $$$!

suzeeq
10-26-2007, 10:53 PM
You may be able to use the same needles you used for the body of the sweater for ML or the half ML (where you only need to make a loop on one side, not both).

ecb
10-26-2007, 11:17 PM
I used a LONG cabled Addi
I do both sleeves at once, and I wrap the cable around the back of the cable between the sleeves to keep the start of the round from laddering
trust me, it makes sense to my feeble mind (Remember, I am a blonde after all)

ecb

losnana
10-27-2007, 08:49 AM
YES! Try Magic Loop. You need circulars that have a very flexible cord and are at least a few inches (6?) or more LONGER than the circle you are knitting. Personally, I prefer Knit Picks, but Addi Turbos are good, too, just more $$$!

Me too. Ml and KP Options are the best. and No, I do not get a kickback from KP; I just adore mine and take every chance here to tell people how great they are.

wednesday
10-27-2007, 04:51 PM
I learned to knit before some of the new fangled gadgets were available or at least not as easily as they are now. Knitting with four needles is hard for me I tend to get the same Octopus feeling, however using 4 or more stationary needles and one working one works for me. the only drawback is that you will need to have 2 sets of the same size DPN's. I do slide at least one worked stitch from one needle to the other to avoid the holey look

Jan in CA
10-28-2007, 01:12 AM
:teehee: Yes, it does get easier! I've always used DPNs, but now that I've learned the two circular method I think that is what I'll use from now on. So easy!

Ginnyb
10-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Thank you all for your reasurrances! I did finish the sleeve using the DPN's and is looks "okay" there is one ladder, but not too noticeable, I am sure no one looking at the sweater will notice it. I think I will do the other sleeve the same, but I am going to try the magic loop, when I am done with the sweater. Right now I am too anxious to finish the sweater to try and learn something new before I continue.... For my first try I think the sweater looks pretty good if I do say so myself..

Ginny

suzeeq
10-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Great! :) And that one laddered area will probably even out when you block or wash the sweater, so you might not even be able to find it again...

The.Knitter
10-28-2007, 03:35 PM
I have two words to say to you as well. Denise Interchangables. They have five sizes of cables (5", 9", 12", 14", 16" and 19") plus two extenders to put two together and make an even longer cable. So I have two more words for you. Denise Interchangables. You can get them from this site in the store and this is the place I found them at the most reasonable price (and I did a lot of research first before actually buying a set). AND I don't get a kick back either, I just LOVE LOVE LOVE my Denise Interchangables.