PDA

View Full Version : First Law of Frogging

MellieThePooh
10-26-2007, 06:19 PM
I'd like to make an observation concerning frogging.

:frog:

Yesterday I started a hat with a rather complicated cable pattern. At some point I realized I had inadvertantly thrown some yarn overs in which really really really didn't need to be there. So, I frogged. Then I miscounted stitches and frogged again. Then, anxious to make up time and already familiar with the pattern, I sped along until I realized I had done some cables backwards; frog yet again. I am now making myself go as slowly as possible until I get past the first section that gave me problems, but I'd like to be the first to identify the First Law of Frogging:

As a frogging becomes increasingly dramatic, the likelihood of another equally dramatic frog approaches one.

That's all. It's like Godwin's Law, but different.

The.Knitter
10-26-2007, 06:23 PM
OMG I just love that emoticon. I have spent my share of time crying and frogging as well. Thanks for the new "law".

brendajos
10-26-2007, 06:25 PM
aah see I thought the first law of frogging was "Don't Frog Fun Fur."

*changing records* ;)

MellieThePooh
10-26-2007, 06:29 PM
aah see I thought the first law of frogging was "Don't Frog Fun Fur."

*changing records* ;)

:roflhard:

trollgirl
10-26-2007, 07:18 PM
I'd like to make an observation concerning frogging.

As a frogging becomes increasingly dramatic, the likelihood of another equally dramatic frog approaches one.

*gasp* That is so true. I've encountered those projects--the ones you have to frog over and over again! I think it has something to do with being worried you might have to frog it again and then getting so nervous you make mistakes and have to frog again. It's a vicious cycle!

Also, someone needs to put together a list of frogging laws, because the one about not frogging fun fur is also priceless.

Songbirdy
10-27-2007, 09:17 AM
I have a second law to propose, or possibly the third if I read the thread properly!

Knitted socks are *best* if you've started them at least 3 times a sock and each sock is not home-made unless it has been frogged at least 1/2 inch.

Last night as I sat there casting on Dh's second sock, over and over... then I finally got it going to realize that the first was K2,P2 ribbing and not the beautiful K1,P1 on my needles...

I realized that it was pretty normal, I always having issues getting that sock past the ball of yarn and stack of needles stage!

cindycactus
10-27-2007, 01:42 PM
I have a second law to propose, or possibly the third if I read the thread properly!

Knitted socks are *best* if you've started them at least 3 times a sock and each sock is not home-made unless it has been frogged at least 1/2 inch.

Last night as I sat there casting on Dh's second sock, over and over... then I finally got it going to realize that the first was K2,P2 ribbing and not the beautiful K1,P1 on my needles...

I realized that it was pretty normal, I always having issues getting that sock past the ball of yarn and stack of needles stage!
I have done that. One sock K2, P2 ribbing, then start the other sock K1, P1 ribbing!!! Just recently in fact. :roflhard: :roflhard:

cristina61
10-27-2007, 03:49 PM
THANK YOU for this thread! It's encouraging to know that there's not something seriously wrong with me because I've had to frog both my mom's and sister's socks three times!
:woohoo:
And if I didn't love the yarn so much (it's Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock) I may have done something really stupid. I'm currently taking a sock break and wondering if I still have a shot at getting through both projects in time for Christmas -- I'm a VERY slow knitter. :teehee:

Christine

Samsam
10-27-2007, 03:57 PM

So true!!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-27-2007, 04:36 PM
and here i thought it was "Thou shalt not frog with cats in the room"

anytime i do, at least 3 of the 5 have way too much fun.

MellieThePooh
10-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Blast! I proved my own law again by screwing up a cable several rows back! Not about to rip it out again, aiee!

Riss
10-27-2007, 06:55 PM
I had a bit of a giggle over the title... expecting "The first law of frogging is... You don't talk about frogging. The second law of frogging is... You DON'T TALK about frogging." :D

Anyway.. I've gotten into the habit of installing lifelines any time I start a new part of a pattern, even if it's just switching from ribbing to a cable section. It saves from the tears and frustration of having to do it ALL over again.

Knitting_Guy
10-27-2007, 11:20 PM
No project is complete if it hasn't been frogged at least once.

mks22300
10-28-2007, 01:31 AM
Here's another law: When watching the World Series, make sure you check your pattern from time to time so you realize when you get about half way through your fair isle band, you don't need to frog back 'cause you forgot to change needle sizes! :hair:

Denise in Michigan
10-28-2007, 02:05 AM
I'm lovin' reading this thread!

AngMac
10-28-2007, 08:31 AM
I had a bit of a giggle over the title... expecting "The first law of frogging is... You don't talk about frogging. The second law of frogging is... You DON'T TALK about frogging." :D

Anyway.. I've gotten into the habit of installing lifelines any time I start a new part of a pattern, even if it's just switching from ribbing to a cable section. It saves from the tears and frustration of having to do it ALL over again.

I love the laws. Here's probably a silly newbie question... but what is a knitting lifeline? I have frogged projects because of silly mistakes and wished that I didn't have to take it all out because of one silly mistake.