PDA

View Full Version : I you were asked to recommend ONE knitting book

jennylozano
10-27-2007, 02:23 AM
If you were asked to recommend ONE knitting book, the one every knitter just must have, what would that book be? :p

Maria2009
10-27-2007, 06:54 AM
good Question:)

miccisue
10-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Hmmm.....this may be a dumb question, but are we talking beginning knitter or advanced knitter? Also, are we talking instructions, patterns, both.....:think:

See, for me, I could pick out a book for patterns a lot easier than one for instructions - for the instructions I'd invest my hard earned $$$ for Amy's videos. Pictures in books are OK, but to me there's nothing like watching someone do something to help me to learn the technique....and I can watch it over and over and over until I get it right!:yay:

knitgal
10-27-2007, 07:18 AM
This IS a good question! I was in the bookstore for almost an hour looking at knitting books yesterday and I couldn't choose one! I think it really depends on what you want. My first knitting book was Stitch and Bitch, so I usually say that. I just finished reading Knitting Rules! by Stephanie Pearl-Mcphee and I loved it. I want one of her other books, but of course the bookstore I was at didn't have it. I love the Mason-Dixon book because I love the patterns, and I love Cables Untangled because I have a thing for cables, but I think it really depends on what you want. Some books are just patterns, and some have a lot of commentary, which I seem to prefer. I'm really interested to see what everyone else will say, since I want a new knitting book so badly!

janettle
10-27-2007, 07:36 AM
I'd recommend The Knitting Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask by Margaret Radcliffe. I keep a copy in my knitting bag. It doesn't take up much space and generally answers whatever question I have at the moment. In addition, I pencil notes in the margins for any other customized information I'd like to keep handy.

knitwit
10-27-2007, 08:41 AM
My favorite and most used book has been Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I had a handful of the "how to" books and never really go back to look at them or use them.

Sanibelle
10-27-2007, 10:15 AM
My abolute favorite is: Vogue Knitting: The unltimate Knitting Book.
It has absolutely everything in this book that I have ever needed. It is for sure my go to book. Also, I think this is a great book, no matter what level knitter you are.

aprildavis99
10-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Knitting Without Tears by Elizabth Zimmerman...hands down!!:star:

Braden
10-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Any Elizabeth Zimmermann book, or The Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee.

zkimom
10-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Any Elizabeth Zimmermann book, or The Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee.

I second that!

jennylozano
10-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Hmmm.....this may be a dumb question, but are we talking beginning knitter or advanced knitter? Also, are we talking instructions, patterns, both.....:think:

Well, I would have to answer either one!! Either beginner or advanced, instructions or patterns.... either one... it would of course be helpful to specify to which category they belong to.... I just imagined that a knitter was stopped in the street and was ask to recommend the book every knitter must have. I thought many knitter would have a book to recommend among all of them :)

jennylozano
10-27-2007, 03:10 PM
This IS a good question! I was in the bookstore for almost an hour looking at knitting books yesterday and I couldn't choose one!

Exactly!!!! I have the same experience at the bookstore as well as online :teehee: But you are also right when you say it depends on what one wants...

geekgolightly
10-27-2007, 05:17 PM
i would go with cables untangled. all the basics anyone can get here, but cables untangled opened up a new world for me. it's well beyond the irish hiking scarf. :heart:

ecb
10-27-2007, 09:14 PM
the one I loved when I started was marans Illustrated
Since then I have a Quick Tie for beginners that is "Simply Fabulous knits"
Since then, TOTALLY depends on what one is doing with their knitting at the present time. I love having a HUGE library just for that purpose.
sorry I M not more help

ecb

Indygirl
10-27-2007, 09:36 PM
This is a great thread! The book I carry in my knitting bag all the time is, The Knitter's Companion by Vicki Square. I use The knitter's handy book of Patterns by Ann Budd a lot too.