PDA

View Full Version : OT (and kinda ikcy) vinegar bugs?

boyforpele13
10-27-2007, 03:32 AM
i'm a little embarrassed to post this, but i'm in shock and had no luck with google. i just went to go clean out my coffee pot with some white vinegar. i had the big handled tub size, like a gallon, i guess, underneath my kitchen sink. as far as i am aware, the top was closed, it's the kind you can just pop off with your thumb... i think made by heinz. now i will stipulate this is something i don't do nearly enough, but i got th e decanter out and dumped what was left of the vinegar into it (probably about 24 ounces) and to my surprise, i see things floating around in the decanter... i had just washed the decanter with soap and water before, so i knew it wasn't coffee grinds, and upon looking closer, i found they were insects of some sort.... my questions are

a) anyone know what kind of insect commits suicide in vinegar jugs? there were many, they appeared to be winged... brownish... that's all i can tell you really, i didn't leave them in there long enough to do a full examination. ;)

b) how could they have gotten in????

thanks!

blueeyes28
10-27-2007, 07:25 AM
I am not sure how they got there but a couple of years ago I on Thanksgiving I decided I was going to make gravy and when I opened the unopened bag of flour a bunch of moths flew out of the bag.

Silver
10-27-2007, 09:28 AM
They were probably fruit flies, which are attracted to vinegar (and spoiling fuit... spoiled fruit makes vinegar). They look a lot like regular house flies, but they're brown and tiny. One may have gotten in the last time you used it, and laid eggs which hatched unknowingly. Or the lid wasn't on correctly and they found their way in.

Nothing to be embarassed about. Bugs just love to find a way of coming in, even into clean houses.

Edited to add: You can catch fruit flies by putting a bit of vinegar into the bottom of a wine bottle. They can find their way in, but are apparently too stupid to find their way back out. :teehee:

stirsmommy
10-27-2007, 09:34 AM
I am not sure how they got there but a couple of years ago I on Thanksgiving I decided I was going to make gravy and when I opened the unopened bag of flour a bunch of moths flew out of the bag.

I was told those are Indian Meal Moths. They are a royal pita. To avoid them the exterminator guy said to freeze all grain, flours and meals for 48 hours after you buy them. I had them in cake mixes that were sealed and when they escaped when I opened them they got inot other stuff. I had to dump it all and start over. Yuck!

KnitClickChick
10-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Nothing to be embarrassed about! It happens, even in clean houses. Not long ago, I made up some sugar cookies, and as I was eating one I noticed this little black speck... couldn't figure out what it was. Then when I was putting the stuff away, I decided to dump the rest of the bag of flour into my canister.... and there were bugs in the flour!!! Why I didn't notice when I was making the cookies, who knows. Needless to say I pitched the rest of the cookies and felt a little sick about eating bugs, but hey, I'm still alive. :)

stitchwitch
10-27-2007, 02:13 PM
The bugs in the flour or mix thing has happened to me in the past but not lately, thankfully. I have however eaten half a box of Brach's english toffee in the movie theatre only to find out that it was infested with moth larvae. :ick:

cristina61
10-27-2007, 04:06 PM
I've never had any trouble with fruit flies, but I do have a moth story.

Several years ago while housesitting I went to the nearby market and bought a box of my favorite hot cereal (Wheat Hearts, which apparently no longer exists :cry: ). I noticed that it seemed to make an odd sound when I shook the box, but didn't think much of it.

The next morning I opened the little side flap on the box, ready to make my breakfast, and all that came out was a tiny little bit of cereal. Very strange -- so I opened up the top, and found the entire box crammed with full-grown, dead moths! :ick:

Needless to say it was a LONG time before I bought Wheat Hearts again, and whenever I did I made sure to shake the box and make sure it sounded normal before I paid for it.

Christine

gamerchik
10-28-2007, 12:47 AM
I keep all flour, mixes (like Bisquick) and cereal in the freezer or the fridge. I take no chances...bugs are gross! LOL.

Lady Violet
10-28-2007, 12:59 AM
i've never seen vinegar bugs, but several years ago i opened a bottle of molasses, poured some out, and i think an entire ant farm was living in there. how they got in through a very tightly screwed on lid i have no idea. :??

cristina61
10-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Oh, ants . . .
When I was a kid we would get ants in our house every winter, but for some strange reason they always squeezed their way into our SALT shaker, which I still can't understand.

And my MIL still loves to tell this story: A few years ago on Christmas Eve she was serving pancakes for brunch. My DH, my BIL, and I had just arrived after a long drive, and the guys were practically inhaling the pancakes. As I was waiting patiently for my helping, I noticed that the syrup container on the table was full of ants -- and they were poured all over the pancakes the guys were eating!

They were so hungry and they were really enjoying those pancakes, I actually wasn't sure if I should break the news to them . . . but I finally did. Years later, my MIL still gets a good laugh out of it. Every time she serves pancakes now she asks if we want our syrup with ants or without! :rofl:

debinoz
10-29-2007, 05:07 PM
I want to know where all those little fly/gnat things come from when you slice tomatoes. They weren't there beforehand, but after about 30 minutes, there's a dozen of them. The only explaination I can come up with is rather gross, so I'd like another, please!!