PDA

View Full Version : Ball Winder & Swift Questions

knitpurlgurl
10-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Okay, I have been wanting to buy a ball winder and possibly a swift as I am finding that it would be really beneficial since alot of the yarns I like come in hanks. I don't want to spend oodles, but I do want to buy a winder that won't break. I saw one on JoAnn's website and there were alot of complaints about it. In your opinion, what is the best winder for the money? Thanks in advance!

WandaT
10-27-2007, 09:40 AM
I have had the Royal Ball Winder since January and have absolutely no complaints about it. I paid less than $40 including s/h from ebay. I love my winder and would not be without it. Everyone that has come over and seen/used it has ended up buying themselves one!

monzogary
10-27-2007, 10:01 AM
My thumb is my ball winder! I do have a swift that I use quite a bit, but for winding I do it on my thumb the way Amy shows in the video on here for how to make a center pull ball. Works great for me!

Sanibelle
10-27-2007, 10:05 AM
I have the Royal one too and I am very happy with it. I bought it from the Joanne's website. BTW - the LYS where I go has the same one too and she uses it everyday to wind yarn for customers and has had no problem with it. I bought mine since she was so happy with it.

brendajos
10-27-2007, 10:49 AM
My answer is the same as Sanibelle's right down to the comment about the LYS. I have no qualms about suggesting the Royal winder to anybody! :thumbsup:

jdee
10-27-2007, 02:20 PM
I got my ball winder from Joann's, too. I used a coupon to get it for 40% off. I can also say, that I have no complaints with it.

boo1
10-27-2007, 03:15 PM
But here is MY question.

I've bought some hanks on ebay and I feel kind of funny bringing them to the LYS and asking the owner to wind them for me.

SOOOOO.......if I buy my own winder, how the heck do you undo the hanks? I see a couple of knots but um, well, ? I'm such a dolt, I'm afraid I would destroy the yarn. I haven't bought a winder yet because of that. But those hanks sitting in the corner aren't getting used.......

:think:

MrsDavis3
10-27-2007, 06:11 PM
That's what the swift is for.
I have both a swift and a winder, and if I had to give up one, it would be the winder. I can wind on my hand, but the swift keeps the yarn from tangling and that was always the bigger problem for me.

Sanibelle
10-27-2007, 06:52 PM
My husband made a swift for me. It is not an umbrella swift like the ones you see in the LYS but it is great and it works and it was not very hard for him to make. It looks like this one:

http://i5.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/a6/19/1983_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Yarn-Swift-adjustable-skeinwinder-Oak_W0QQitemZ300164853022QQihZ020QQcategoryZ1362QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosti ng)

It works great with my yarn winder. I think the supplies to make it cost less than $10.00

If anyone wants the directions to make one, I got them from a friend emailed and I can forward it to you. Just PM me with your email address.

fargo_knitting
10-27-2007, 08:38 PM
I made a swift out of tinkertoys (not my original idea...got it from here (http://www.folkcatart.com/blogs/jen/?p=742) )

I didn't have the proper tools to make one, but tinkertoys are pre-cut and smooth. I also can take it apart and store it takes up very little space. That is a major plus for me because I live in a small apartment.