PDA

View Full Version : Dishcloths/Facecloths: Cotton vs Linen

Spikey
10-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi there,

I've searched and searched here, and on Ravelry, to try and find out if cotton or linen is better for dishcloths and facecloths, both for knitting up and using. I plan to make a bunch for holiday gift giving.

The DBNY girls have loads of bags of linen in what seem to be pretty good prices (has anyone gotten these??), or am I better off just getting cotton?

I found the posts about the various cotton brands, which were really helpful, but all I've been able to find about the linen is that the dishclothes will "outlast the cockroaches" (thanks, to ChroniclesofYarnia). Am definitely willing to spend a little more for the linen if they'll last a lot longer and/or look prettier.

Thanks!
Spikey

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-27-2007, 11:17 AM
I've only made them out of cotton- because cotton is so soft. Not all linen is as soft-- but, if you can find some.. go for it.. compare the price too.

They do make nice little gifts. Enjoy your knitting.

debb
10-27-2007, 11:20 AM
I've made a few face cloths with Crystal Palace cotton chenille and was pleasantly surprised with how well they have held up. They go in the washer and dryer and come out quite soft.

knitgal
10-27-2007, 11:23 AM
I absolutely love using cotton because of the huge variety of colours and it gets so soft, but it does fade. I've heard linen lasts forever (as you said) and gets softer as it's washed etc. I think the main thing would be preference. Cotton is nice to work with, whereas linen isn't as soft, but this may not matter to you. I've been meaning to make some linen dishcloths and matchin tea towels, but I haven't yet.