PDA

View Full Version : Baby blanket advice

bip
10-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I am working on this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54745504@N00/1777744407/)baby blanket. It is < 8" from being finished. The basic premise of the blanket is the Fibonacci sequence (1-1-2-3-5-8, etc). When I orignially cast on, I calculated that I wanted it 30" x ~40". This meant beginning the sequence w/34 red and ending w/34 black. About 1/3 of the way through the project, I thought to check my gauge, and I was doing far fewer rows than I had planned. Basically, it is going to turn out 27"x27".

I continued because I remember someone here saying that smaller baby blankets are sometimes preferred. BUT then I talked to my mom and she says she liked the BIG ones.:???:

However, here is the twist: If I frog and restart adding one more repeat of the sequence, I will be adding 55 rows to either side. That will make the blanket 47" long.

That seems kind of big, but it also seems like a little more of a PITA than I really want to deal with. The blanket is for a friend of my husband who I knew fairly well a few years ago, but who now lives on the west coast and we haven't kept in such close touch.

On possibility I am considering is getting an Ultimate Sweater Maching (using a JoAnn 50% off coupon). I could do the garter portions/border by hand, and then do the rest with the machine. I have toyed with getting one in the past, so it wouldn't be "just for this project".

Thanks for your help!

(PS the dad-to-be chose the colors, he is an NC state alum and apparently these are wolfpack colors or pretty close)

suzeeq
10-27-2007, 03:10 PM
I think a lot of moms now have car seats and carriers which weren't as prevalent 20+ years ago and you would need a smaller blanket for those. Big ones are good to wrap up a baby in, but small ones are handy too, to just lay over the baby.

yarnfreak
10-27-2007, 04:56 PM
I have a 6 week old and prefer smaller blankets when we go out. The don't fall and drag on the ground, and can be used to shade baby, but are small enough to lift and check under. I say go with the smaller one!

bip
10-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks for your advice and votes everyone! I mentioned the carseat/basinett thing to my mom and she said, "Oh yeah, I forgot about that!"

So, finish the small blankie it is. Yay for no frogging! And I might be able to finish tonight during the world series :)

kellyh57
10-27-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm all for smaller blankies. For big blankies, those tied fleece ones are great. Those were just coming "in" when my first was born so we have a few of those and use those for throwing on the floor for play time.

Kelly