PDA

View Full Version : WOTA?

madametj
10-27-2007, 10:05 PM
What is Knit Picks' Wool of the Andes yarn like? is it very soft? is it good for socks? what about sweaters?:think:

knitqueen
10-27-2007, 10:12 PM
In my opinion, WOTA is really good for felted things or accessories like purses, but not so good for garments. It is not all that soft. Amy (site owner) made a beautiful sweater out of WOTA a few years back and it pilled so terribly, it was such a shame. So in light of that, it probably isn't the best choice for socks either.

MellieThePooh
10-27-2007, 10:26 PM
I just made a sweater with WOTA because:
a) I'm cheap
b) Hubby doesn't care if it's itchy
c) He'll be wearing it as an outer layer anyhow so it won't be against his skin
d) I'm perfectly ok with handwashing everything

If any of these don't apply to what you want, it's probably not the best thing. 'cept my hubby's opinion shouldn't matter.

zkimom
10-27-2007, 10:27 PM
My only experience with WOTA was a felting project also. I agree, not soft enough to wear as a garment.

Knitpicks makes some softer yarns. Swish superwash is very soft and yummy if you are looking for an inexpensive worsted or DK weight yarn for a sweater.

Jan in CA
10-27-2007, 10:33 PM
1. It's not soft
2. It's not washable
3. It pills like crazy

Other than that it felts wonderfully and it's the only way I'd use it.

stirsmommy
10-27-2007, 10:45 PM
I have been using wota for my fiber trend clogs and I do like it for felting but I don't think I would wear it next to the skin . It isn't harsh on my hands like say lopi but itisn't soft either.

lauraknits
10-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Yep. Great for felting, not soft, not good for garments. Paton's Merino is not bad for a sweater (not next to skin though). It pills less and is softer though not really soft. KP swish is nice and soft but does shrink so you ought to swatch. Machine washable though!!

madametj
10-29-2007, 07:33 PM
thank you for the advice on this yarn. i was about to buy 10 skeins of it for yarn and various projects because "peruvian wool" sounded soft. i will like into the the swish superwash since it is merino and i won't have to handwash it (:happydance: )

thanks!