PDA

View Full Version : Seaming/Finishing

KEDEK5
10-28-2007, 12:04 PM
How long does it take to master the art of seaming and finishing? I get so frustrated with this part of my project. I have almost completed two sweaters but my seaming and finishing look horrendous! I keep going back to LYS but I am afraid they may throw me out soon!

jdee
10-28-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm glad you asked this, because I have the same problem. I'm in the process of making my first sweater, and I've completed all the pieces and blocked them. Now I'm on the seaming together part, and I'm having the worst time. I mean, I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many times I've taken out them seams and started over. :grrr:

Maybe we'll both recieve the help we need.

jennylozano
10-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Well, I cannot help much, but just join you :teehee: I am just about starting seaming my jacket and I hate the idea. My previous sweaters do not have a nice "invisible" seaming. On the contrary, they look pretty bad. I know I have been doing something wrong: I have been joining the stitches themselves instead of the bars between the last stitches of each piece. I recently realize that watching Amy's videos here and making an effort to understand the seaming instructions.
So, I am hoping this time I will be very aware of what I am doing and won't scream out of frustration :waah:

Jen17
10-28-2007, 07:38 PM
I am a fanatic about seaming and am slowly getting them to look better. It's mostly practice...but....

Have you looked at the video of the mattress stitch here on KH? If you do that stitch for the seams, it will probably give you the results you are looking for!

In the mean time, hopefully a more experienced knitter will pipe up!!:cheering:

melissa.atkins
10-28-2007, 09:15 PM
I am with you on this one, I hate seaming... the ony thing that works for me to make sure that the border is "perfect" an dthen do the mattress stitch... by perfect I mean I use the slip the first stitch on one row and purl the first one on the next one...

Ironlung21
10-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Up until about a week ago - I would so have agreed with you on this. I came across this site because I was searching for finishing tips online. I am in the middle of a death by cable cardigan that has taken so much work and effort and I really needed to find something to sort out my rubbish attemps at seaming. The mattress stitch video on this site has done that. It is very clear and once you have set yourself up right - very easy. The results are great and give you a sort of nerdy appreciation of your own seaming. Absolute first for me.

My top tip is to sit in front of the ironing board - because you can adjust it to your preferred working height and make sure that you block your work at the same time. Use a contrasting yarn to tack or fix the work loosely and then think of all the hours you have put into the piece .... and how one or two hours more effort at getting it right will be well worth it.

mom 3
10-29-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm just finishing a boucle sweater that's been a UFO for way too long. I too am ready to sew the seams. The sweater is knit with boucle yarn which tears when I sew with it. I've given up and found a matching yarn that's easier to work with. This is probably an obvious question, but are you supposed to sew the seams right side up? If so, my "matching" yarn may show. Any suggestions?

thanks!