PDA

View Full Version : How can they sell this?

kkatt82
10-28-2007, 07:46 PM
How can they sell this for $275?!?!? I can't believe how simple it is... It was just advertised on CW Now as the "in" thing this season...

The Pidge (http://www.3feapparel.com/pageShopOnline-Biscuit.html)

That's it... I'm off to copy-cat it :)

ItsBecca
10-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Dang! Maybe because it's cashmere?!

knitqueen
10-28-2007, 08:27 PM
I think someone else posted something similar recently -- the same type of garment but a different shop, and I think those were even more pricey. It's got to be the cashmere.

Edited to add: I just clicked around on that site a bit, and the striped ones are even more...$330!!! And at least one that I clicked on was sold out. Amazing.

brittyknits
10-28-2007, 09:10 PM
That yarn better have gold woven through it, is all I can say.

melissa.atkins
10-28-2007, 09:17 PM
that is crazy!!! i guess as long as someone is buying them... if they keep advertising it like "in"... we might have to follow you... ;)

Sandi
10-28-2007, 10:37 PM
When you think about it, the cost of the cashmere yarn, and the time spent knitting it. (Paying someone by the hour) the cost isn't all that bad.......
Plus like the last person said.......if people are will to buy them?
Most of the things we on here knit, could you imagine the cost to buy them in stores......
Although you can't put a price on how much love is put in every stitch.....
:knitting:

zkimom
10-28-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm going to try and make one for myself from this pattern (http://www.sweaterwizard.com/pinteractivepatterns/demo.htm). I got some Debbie Bliss Pure Cashmere for less than $9 a skein at littleknits.com and each scarf will cost a whopping $40 plus the cost of buttons.

Even if I made it with Lobster Pot Cashmere which is yummy and hand dyed, it would only cost about $85 for the yarn.

I wonder who is buying them?

giedre11
10-29-2007, 12:17 AM

Those that are very rich and can't knit?

Sandi
10-29-2007, 12:22 AM
You got it!

Those with to much money on their hands, and can't knit.....

Lady Violet
10-29-2007, 12:24 AM
poor, sad people. :verysad:

:teehee:
you'd think they could pay someone to teach them to knit. :??

Sandi
10-29-2007, 12:37 AM
I agree..... at how sad their lives must be.....:wink: :wink:
I just can't imagine it.....

kkatt82
10-29-2007, 06:54 AM
Ooo, thanks for that pattern link. I started working on my version last night just out of Patons SWS... we'll see how it turns out then I'm out to my LYS to see what kinf of yummy Cashmere I can find :)

sue in canada
10-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Wow, there is now so much talk everywhere about the pidge. When I first saw it mentioned on another forum, it was being sold at an exclusive yarn store in the Hamptons where I guess people don't look at price.
I have started the pattern the pattern mentioned by Zkimom about 5 times and have given up. I kept making mistakes and have wasted so much yarn as it is so hard to frog that stitch. I am going to try the idea with a different stitch one day as I love the idea.

cdjack
10-29-2007, 10:36 AM
I don't know... I have a cashmere sweater that cost less than that buttoned scarf. The pattern is cute though...
And even if I did splurge and make it with cashmere or a cashmere blend yarn, how much yarn could that scarf take? Not much... Maybe it's the olivewood buttons that make it so pricey. I mean, had anyone else never heard of olivewood buttons?

kkatt82
10-29-2007, 11:07 AM
You may be right... I don't think I've heard of olivewood buttons. I only have one cashmere sweater that I was given as a gift one year. I've seen it in Ann Taylor for around $150.

feministmama
10-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Ya know i don't think it's all that flattering anyway. I wouldn't wear one. I think this the everybody's-wearing-it syndrome. Just cuz someone says its worth it don't make it so.

feministmama
10-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Ooo that was kinda snippy huh? Didn't mean to offend anyone, I just don't like it.

candicane
10-29-2007, 11:29 AM
There is a Knitalong on Ravelry for this. And MUCH discussion. The Pidge is actually loom-knit using Karabella cashmere that retails for $50/skein.

candice

GiddyKnitter
10-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Well I have just downloaded the pattern from the link and I am going to use some yarn from my stash and have a go...You never know it might turn out lovely and you dont know until you try one for yourself x

sue in canada
10-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Pauline, I hope you have better luck with the pattern

Avalon
10-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Sue, I downloaded the linked pattern, too. I hope it's not too difficult. If it is I'll have plenty of questions for all of you!

Tutu Carol
10-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Hey, if the knitter is getting the moohla, then go get um ~!!

GiddyKnitter
10-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Has anyone finished theirs yet? I started mine and had to undo it
didn't get the second buttonhole right (not had a problem before with buttonholes).
I will have another go and maybe do my buttonholes a different way. I will not be beaten! I actually had some caramel coloured Katia cashmerino in my stash that will look just great.

sinistral_needler
10-30-2007, 12:49 PM

Those that are very rich and can't knit?

Some people will buy anything! Esp. if they have the $$.

MMario
10-30-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm willing to bet the knitter gets very little of the selling price.

The true problem is that it is *NOT* a bad price for the materials and time that it would take to knit (at least hand knit - and I suspect they are machine knit) - but very few people without the cachet of a big store/brand name behind them could command that price.

twowackykids
10-31-2007, 12:00 PM
A few weeks back I was at a gallery hop here in my town. (They open up all of the art galleries and you wander around from gallery to gallery. It's a fun time.) In one of these galleries I saw a scarf made out of Boa selling for $125. It was plain stockinette made out of yarn you can get for $2 on sale. I could make it in a sitting. I almost died. My firend pointed out that it wasn't just a scarf in this shop; it was "fiber art". I almost passed out. There were even more expensive scarves made out of higer quality yarn, but these were also $200 dollars.

I must be in the wrong business.

kblue
10-31-2007, 12:30 PM
WOW!!!!!! If i could make and sell, at that price, just 3 of those scarfs (which is SUPER DUPER EASY even for a beginner like me) it would be more than enough for rent and some bills for the month!!!! Making thems not my problem it's the selling part ha ha ha!!!

CTbarb
10-31-2007, 02:22 PM
How do you wear it? It's kind of odd-looking to me. Is it just a collar over a top/sweater, or does it somehow get attached to a coat?

knitncook
10-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Ya know i don't think it's all that flattering anyway. I wouldn't wear one. I think this the everybody's-wearing-it syndrome. Just cuz someone says its worth it don't make it so.

I don't think it was snippy. I'm not a trendy type person anyway. I sort of get a little put off when I see people who are knitting only because it is trendy. I was knitting back when it wasn't so cool and it was something you only saw little old ladies and expectant moms doing. And my fashion is totally not trendy. Although I am planning on making one of these for my mom for the holidays. It's right up her alley.

Nakia
10-31-2007, 03:59 PM
They must be kidding!!!!

wiredqs
10-31-2007, 05:05 PM
A few weeks back I was at a gallery hop here in my town. (They open up all of the art galleries and you wander around from gallery to gallery. It's a fun time.) In one of these galleries I saw a scarf made out of Boa selling for $125. It was plain stockinette made out of yarn you can get for $2 on sale. I could make it in a sitting. I almost died. My firend pointed out that it wasn't just a scarf in this shop; it was "fiber art". I almost passed out. There were even more expensive scarves made out of higer quality yarn, but these were also $200 dollars.

I must be in the wrong business.
And how much did it cost the artist for the paint...
Jackson Pollack looks like a mess to many people, maybe that scarf looks like art to some.

mari_13
11-01-2007, 12:46 PM
I just made one out of Baby Alpaca Grande using My So Called Scarf stitch pattern: http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html
I cast on 24 stitches and knitted for 22 inches using size 10.5 needles. I still have to put the buttons on but it came out SO nice! Only cost me $14 and is as soft as it wants to be! I'll post pics later!

GiddyKnitter
11-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Wow Marie thats lovely x