PDA

View Full Version : Knit Picks Options or Denise Interchangables?

speattle
10-28-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm interested in perhaps purchasing a set of interchanging cable needles sets.
I have a large variety of addi-turbo cables and I really like them, but am thinking of adding more needles.

So, experienced knitters out there... which is the best in your opinion. Why and what do you like about your preference?

SabrinaJL
10-28-2007, 08:42 PM
It really is a personal preference. I love the KPO's because they're slick, sharp and the cable is very flexible. Some people don't like the fact that they're so slick and sharp. I knit pretty tightly though so they work well for me.

losnana
10-28-2007, 08:45 PM
I've never tried the Turbos. I do have KPOptions and love them. The cable is VERY flexible, and there is no snag where it joins the needle.

Braden
10-28-2007, 09:03 PM
I go for the Options. The join is so much better, and they are of higher quality. If you don't like the slippery nickel plated, they also come in laminated wood variety (Harmony Wood).

AngMac
10-28-2007, 09:09 PM
I would say Options too. The owner of my LYS has said that they feel like Addis.

nadja la claire
10-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Another KPO lover here :waving: They're as good as Addis and they're cheaper and if there is a problem KP has great customer service.

rosefields
10-28-2007, 09:24 PM
I prefer Denise's for most projects...they are so versatile and you can even buy the rainbow colored ones from KH!!

zkimom
10-28-2007, 11:01 PM
I have a set of both Denise's and the new Harmony needles from Knitpicks.

I'd say Options.

I like the cable and join better on the Harmony set. The Denise cables are very thick and it's a bit of a pain to Magic Loop with them. I do like the fact that you can join together more than one cable and make a longer cable for ML but you have to watch the join between cables all the time or the yarn will snag. I find that is the same for the join between the cable and the needle itself. Tends to snag the yarn if I'm not careful.

I like the thinner cable on the Harmony set and even though I can't put together cables and make my own lengths, I can add extra cables to my set and they aren't that expensive.

I also like the feel of the Harmony needles better than the resin that the Denises are made out of.

I was a die hard Denise fan before my Harmony set but the Harmonys have won me over.

boo1
10-29-2007, 06:02 AM
I see that several of y'all mentioned that they are very similar and less expensive. But would you say that they are better than Addi?
I'm really curious as I would like to buy some circulars. I'm willing to pay more for better ones. I just don't have experience with either of those brands.

Does the Options kit have different length cables? If so, which lengths?

Thanks!
Laura

WandaT
10-29-2007, 09:01 AM
OK, I just did it - ordered the Options!! I'm so excited to get them! I just tried ML last night and love it - and have 4 projects I want/need to do for Xmas gifts that all required different size needles (small diameter circular of course). So it was either go to the LYS and get 4 different 40" circulars - and I think the HiYa's are what I'd get - for $9/ea or spend $70 and get the Options with a 40" cable and size 13 tips. :) Hope it doesn't take too long to get them!!

Wahlee
10-29-2007, 11:51 AM
I see that several of y'all mentioned that they are very similar and less expensive. But would you say that they are better than Addi?
I'm really curious as I would like to buy some circulars. I'm willing to pay more for better ones. I just don't have experience with either of those brands.

I used to be a die-hard Addi fan, until I got my Options. I really do like them better. The finish is just as slick as the Addis, but the tips are pointer (very good for lace knitting, which I've just gotten sucked into recently) and the cords are even more flexible. Plus, they're much cheaper-- I got the equivalent of 18 Addi needles (9 needle tips + 2 sizes of cables) for $60. With Addis selling for between $15-$20 each, the same needles would have cost between $270 and $360. Umm, yeah. I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in the quality of the needles, either.

I still have my Addis, because they're all 16" except for one 20", and I haven't invested in the KP classic circulars yet. But as I haven't done much knitting that calls for 16" circulars lately, I've barely used them in the past year. It's Options all the way for me.

Does the Options kit have different length cables? If so, which lengths? The kit comes with 2 24" cables and 2 32" cables. You can also buy 40", 47", and 60" cables. I now have at least one set of all the sizes, and 2 sets of the 24" cables. If you want a 16" needle, you have to buy their fixed circulars. The Options tips are too long to make a 16" cable feasible.

Jan in CA
10-29-2007, 12:29 PM
I have both Options and Denise Interchangeables plus a few Addis, too.

I have to say that since I tried the Options I do everything possible to find patterns to use with them instead of my Denise needles. I prefer the cable of Addis and Options..it's thinner and more flexible. I like the nickel plated needles of Options and whatever Addis are made of over the resin of Denise. Options are pointier than Addis so if you do lace it's a good thing, too.

Basically it's simple..if you like Addis I'm almost positive you'd prefer Options..they are very similar.

knitpurlgurl
10-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Just bought my Denise Pink set. I liked the fact that the Denise cables come in alot more lengths and that the kit is airline approved due to them being resin. I normally prefer my Lantern Moon needles (they feel nice in my hands and are so attractive), but I like the versatility of the Denise interchangeables. I also like that I'm donating $5 to Breast Cancer by purchasing them. They now have needle sizes 17 and 19 that you can buy seperately. I'll report back after I've used them! :knitting:

redheadrachel
10-29-2007, 12:46 PM
I've only tried KP Options as far as interchangeables, but they've got to be the best. There's no way it could get any better :D
I knit tightly and don't like to get slowed down, so pointy and slick is the way to go. I've not tried their wooden needles, but I don't really want anything less slick than their nickel plated, so I've really got no desire to try them... lol And the cable is AMAZING! I've never ever wanted to go back to my old fixed circulars after trying these KP circs, and I may buy some KP fixed circs in the smaller sizes, because the needles and cables are the best that I've ever seen.

KP Options all the way. I, too, would have been willing to shell out more money if I thought the Addis would be better. But according to most people, the Addis have a similar cable, but slightly less thin and flexible. And the needles are nearly as slick as Options, but less pointy. Since these are the features I love the most about Options, I really can't imagine preferring the Addis. And the fact that Options are much cheaper is a bonus point :D

Mommy22alyns
10-29-2007, 01:24 PM
The Options are the only ones I've tried as well, and I don't think it gets any better than those! I have a couple of Addi fixed circs, and they're like butter to knit with too, but the Options are much more affordable and give more variety.

I'm an Options lover! :heart:

brendajos
10-29-2007, 02:48 PM
I have used the Denise and the KPOs and I loved the Denise needles. I had absolutely NO issues with them, except one. It was entirely about the thickness of the cable. If i got down to the smaller size needles, the cable was as thick as the needle itself and I found it to be more difficult to work with because of it. I would never go back, even though they are very nice needles. The KPOs are very much like the Addis, except that they have a pointier needle... :thumbsup:

Jeremy
10-29-2007, 03:05 PM

Does the Options kit have different length cables? If so, which lengths?

Thanks!
Laura

Options do have different cable lengths and I feel that they are better than Addis. Their point is sharper and much more suited to sock and lace knitting. I also have Denise but I'm no big fan compared to the Options

Quiltlady
10-29-2007, 05:31 PM
I use to love my Denise set but now I own the Harmony set and I really love them even more. They are so pretty and a pleasure to use and look at while I am knitting. Not as slippery as the metal ones and not as draggy as the Denise...they are "Just Right" for me.:yay:

melissa.atkins
10-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Neither... well, I never knitted with Addies which I hear are wonderful, but my pocket doesnt allow me to go buy them... I thought about the Denisse but I have a few issues knitting with plastic needles... so I chose the Boye ones... DH got me a set last year and I love them!!

ecuzzacrea
10-29-2007, 07:41 PM
I just got the Options from my husband for our anniversary and retired my Denise set to my Mom who didn't have an interchangeable set. I really liked my Denise needles and used them for about 4 years, but I like my Options much better and am glad I asked for them. I knit tight and like the sharp points as well as the slick surface of the needle.
Options would be my choice, but like a lot of people said - it's a matter of personal opinion.

madametj
10-29-2007, 08:09 PM
personally hats and headbands are one of my major projects that i do, so i got the Denises.

If you are an experienced knitter i would get the KPOs, also if you like aluminum, then they're a great option.

boo1
10-29-2007, 08:54 PM
I knit tight and like the sharp points as well as the slick surface of the needle.
Options would be my choice, but like a lot of people said - it's a matter of personal opinion.

I knit (and crochet) rather tightly so the more pointed needle sounds like it might help me more.

I'm glad you mentioned tension; I know sometimes I have trouble digging into a stitch. ;)

Leaning toward Options, but at the rate I knit (very slowly), I guess there isn't a big hurry!

Thanks,
Laura

madametj
10-29-2007, 09:12 PM
oh, one more thing: i don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but with my Denises, the join comes undone and my stitches drop very often. i think it has to do with the way i turn my work when i'm moving to the next row of something. i understand that this wasn't an issue for the previous owner, but it drives me crazy :hair:

Miss Moosey
10-30-2007, 10:42 AM
I own Densises and I am in love :heart: .

I love the feel of the needles; I know plastic isn't for everybody but I love it. The needles are smooth and comfortable. And it's airline safe! I have gotten some strange looks from security guards when I've shown them my needles (obviously none of them knit), but I have never had a problem.

I like that the set comes with some short cables good for making hats, and I like that it comes with thicker needles for thicker projects (I knit a lot with two strands of yarn).

Another little thing which I really like is that the case the Denises come in makes it really easy to keep them nice and neat. The size of the needle is also etched on each tip so you can check what size you're using (this has come in handy for me more than once). However, the number is pretty small; my mom can't see it even with her glasses so I guess it's not a plus if your vision isn't 100%.

And my needles have never come undone or snagged. Neither have my cable extenders ever snagged. I love that the set comes with cable extenders; it really gives me a lot of flexibility and I haven't needed to shell out more money for longer cables.

My only complaint is sometimes I wish that the tips were a little pointier. I also wish that the tips went down to a smaller size sometimes, too (the smallest needle tip is size five due to the thickness of the cable). I don't magic loop yet, so the cable thickness doesn't bug me in any way otherwise.

My set also came with one defective part and when I reported it I found that their customer service deserves a gold medal!

So I am going to be devil's advocate here and stand up to all of those KPO lovers and say: go with Denise!! :cheering:

Rebecca

yarnrainbow
11-09-2007, 03:14 PM
IMHO, KnitPicks Options are the way to go. I just received my order this week and, WOW, do they blow me out of the water! cloud9!

The pointy tips make stitching soooo easy, and the surface of the needle tips are so smooth, its unbelievable. No snagging/dragging yarn on these babies. And the cables are like buttah...they don't fight me at every turn like my fixed circs do. My wrists are luvin these guys!!

I did have a problem with one of the cables that came with the set...looks like the purple cable was not pushed into the metal end piece quite enough, which resulted in a "lip" that could snag yarn. Also, one of the size 7 needle tips had a dent in it (best way I can describe it). However, when I called KnitPicks, they immediately resolved the problem by agreeing to send me a new cable and new needle tip, no questions asked. Now that's what I call Customer Service...you can bet I'll be ordering from this company again in the very near future!! Gotta love a company that values its customers and its reputation. :hug:

sinistral_needler
11-09-2007, 03:26 PM
I am one of the very rare people that just loves my Boye Needlemaster set. Oh well!

Jan in CA
11-09-2007, 03:33 PM
If you are an experienced knitter i would get the KPOs, also if you like aluminum, then they're a great option.

Just for the record... they aren't aluminum. They are nickel plated brass. ;)