PDA

View Full Version : Need men's opinion (women's welcome too)

cookworm
10-28-2007, 11:55 PM
I am thinking about knitting shawls for people afflicted with a certain disease. These would be people that I may not even know...not know their likes, dislikes, etc. The color that I have chosen is a neutral color, non-gender specific. The pattern would be a K3, P3 pattern and would look like the teal shawl in this (http://www.shawlministry.com/images/Gathering2006/Picture%20314.jpg) picture, and will have a contrast edging (again, a "unisex" color) of some sort (imagine something like a tan color with a navy edging, for example). It would be a rectangular shawl.
I know that some shawl ministries will make shawls for women and maybe lap blankets for men, but I have to be honest and say that I would like to knit shawls all around so I am knitting the same pattern and the same item...it will make it easier for me to focus on the task at hand rather than stressing out, worrying about how many shawls versus blanket I should be knitting.
So here's my question: would any of you men be put off by receiving a rectangular shawl as a sort of "get well hug" from a stranger? I mean, it would be something to be worn in the hospital (where it can get a bit cold) or at home when you're feeling crummy; it doesn't have to be something that is worn out in public.

Sandi
10-29-2007, 12:29 AM
I think that's a wonderfull idea. Most people, male or female would welcome something so thoughtfull.
When my mom was going through cancer treatment, there was a wonderfull program in the hospital she was in.
In the waiting areas of each radiologist, was a basket on the coffee table with knitting. There was something started and everyone was welcome to sit and knit for 5 minutes or how ever long you were there. Each of the squares was sewn into blankets by the volunteers.
I've joined a program like it here in my city.
And I know by talking to the volunteers how gave out the blankets that every single person who recieved one was most greatfull.

MMario
10-29-2007, 08:28 AM
I've recie3ved several over the past few years - I use them as lap robes ; occasionallly throw them around my shoulders if the room is draughty; technically they are shawls.

mwhite
10-29-2007, 09:33 AM
I think that's a wonderfull idea. Most people, male or female would welcome something so thoughtfull.
When my mom was going through cancer treatment, there was a wonderfull program in the hospital she was in.
In the waiting areas of each radiologist, was a basket on the coffee table with knitting. There was something started and everyone was welcome to sit and knit for 5 minutes or how ever long you were there. Each of the squares was sewn into blankets by the volunteers.
I've joined a program like it here in my city.
And I know by talking to the volunteers how gave out the blankets that every single person who recieved one was most greatfull.

What a wonderful idea!!!

brittyknits
10-29-2007, 09:34 AM
If I may throw in my 2 cents here. . .it's a wonderful idea, and I especially like the suggestion of doing them in rectangles, where they can be thought of as lap blankents, as well. But as for gender neutral colors-- what about doing them in bright colors? I'm just thinking that some cheerful colorway (still gender neutral) would be a pick me up for someone who is in hospital or otherwise ill. Meaning, red with yellow fringe, purple and blue, etc.

Lisa R.
10-29-2007, 10:24 AM
I would think a shawl like that would be wonderful for men or women--it's not like a frilly lace thing that would be inappropriate for a man.

Is there a pattern for it?...I like the look of them myself.

Jeremy
10-29-2007, 10:27 AM
I think they are appropriate for men and would be welcome.

cookworm
10-29-2007, 10:53 AM
LisaR, with regards to the shawl pattern, you'd need to cast on any multiple of 3; I cast on enough stitches to yield a shawl about 20" wide. So say for example you're using a yarn that has a gauge of 11 sts = 4", for a 20" wide shawl, you'd normally need to cast on 55 sts, but since you need to make sure it's a multiple of 3, you'd either need to increase the cast on stitches to 57 or decrease them to 54 to get you the multiple of 3. The pattern is for row 1, *K3, P3* all the way across, and row 2 is also *K3, P3* all the way across. Very easy.

MMario
10-29-2007, 10:57 AM
BTW - let me tell you that I have made more then a few "comfort shawls" over the years myself - not to mention lap robes, afghans, etc - but in each case where I was *given* one, they absolutley floored me. Somehow they seem to be warmer, softer, more comforting then ones I've made for myself

cookworm
10-29-2007, 11:13 AM
This is the response I'm hoping I'd get (that a male recipient would be happy to receive a shawl), rather than being bummed out wishing he might have received something else other than a shawl, you know what I mean?

Knitting_Guy
10-29-2007, 01:20 PM
I think the design you mention, not too 'girlie', would be ok for a guy, especially if he didn't know it was called a shawl (some guys might have a problem with that).

cindycactus
10-29-2007, 03:01 PM
When my husband was taking Chemo he would wrap a blanket around his shoulders to keep warm. He would have loved a shawl to wrap up in. I guess it depends on how sick someone is what they think about what is keeping them warm. It sounds like you are doing something wonderful for everyone.:muah: