PDA

View Full Version : Help with button selection for cardigan

knitqueen
10-29-2007, 01:36 PM
I never do this, but I'm going to link to my off-site blog (http://kidsandknit.blogspot.com/2007/10/button-uncertainty.html) for this question....hope you don't mind popping over there to take a look. You can read it there, but the jist of my problem is that I have 99.9% finished my version of this cabled cardigan (http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=2193) and am unhappy with my button choice now that one is sewn on. I need opinions of what type of button would be better. Feel free to comment over there, or leave a reply here. Thanks so much!!

Ginnyb
10-29-2007, 01:49 PM
How about wooden buttons?

Ginny

holamiis
10-29-2007, 02:12 PM
I would put buttons on that stand out even more...maybe big carved bone or wooden ones? IMO, that would make the cardigan really unique.
Its a really great cardigan, BTW....I love the cabling.

Jan in CA
10-29-2007, 03:14 PM
The sweater is gorgeous...do you want the first thing you notice to be the buttons or the sweater. I'd probably go with a less obvious button myself, but it is personal choice. Since you aren't sure I think maybe this isn't the right one for you. Maybe take sweater with you and try again.

Ellieblue
10-29-2007, 04:24 PM
I would definitely go with a dark blue button that would blend in with the sweater. Do I detect vertical buttonholes? I am working on a topdown raglan sweater for my son and would love to use vertical buttonholes on the separate band but I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that. Any input would be helpful. Ellie

knitqueen
10-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Yep, vertical buttonholes, but it's a crocheted buttonband. So much sturdier than a knit buttonband, and the buttonholes are such a breeze in crochet.

Thanks for the ideas...I think I'll be heading back to the fabric store for a second try at button finding. Maybe without ds in tow this time! :teehee:

ArtLady1981
10-29-2007, 05:00 PM
I completely agree with you. The button you have on there is just lack-luster. Even buttons of the same color as your yarn will just kinda die. Your beautiful sweater DESERVES great buttons!

I have used silver "celtic" buttons many times...and they never fail to impress! Here is a Rowan pattern cardigan that I knit back in 2005...for an Alaskan Cruise. I loved the buttons! Even though they "stand out"...I think they really "worked" on the field of Evergreen. I think similar buttons will look fabulous on your blue sweater! A wonderful cardigan!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/000_0040.jpg

Ironlung21
10-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I can really appreciate how difficult this is.
The cable looks great and if you would like my two pence worth - dark blue or black, shiny and classic. Not too big - think the button in the picture is a bit too big, bit too 'look at me I 'm a button'. Cabling is lovely and this should be the star of the piece. But then what do I know?

The.Knitter
10-29-2007, 07:26 PM
I have to say that I agree with your accessment. Those buttons do NOT do that beautiful sweater justice. It needs something black and shiny and round and big IMO. At least that is what I would do with it. Good luck choosing!

Ingrid
10-29-2007, 08:18 PM
I was actually looking for a link to the Celtic Knot buttons that Artlady posted before I read the rest of the responses. I think they would look wonderful. Somehow the silver with the blue strikes me as matching better than wood with the blue.

And I agree--that sweater is to gorgeous to put on less-than-spectacular buttons!

knitqueen
10-31-2007, 02:26 PM
The perfect buttons have been found....but I'm keeping you in suspense for now....:out: