PDA

View Full Version : Trouble getting length correct on gauge

j4099
10-29-2007, 01:46 PM
I am making a children's top down v-neck cardigan size 4, size 9 needles, 4.5 stitches to the inch. Since the pattern has multiple gauges, you choose the one your yarn knits up in. My problem is that the width is spot-on. (Pattern only gives width not length of gauge.) However, when I get to the length of the yoke (7.5"), I still have 20 more rows with increases to do (front section has 20 stitches but needs to have 30 stitches). I have tried a different size needle (7 with a gauge of 5 stitches to the inch) but it comes out way too long. I have been assured by the store where I purchased the pattern that it is a popular pattern and they have made it up without any problems. Went to another store that suggested ripping back and putting increases in every row rather than every other row. I am not a very experienced knitter to start monkeying around with sleeves, body length, etc. Surely there must be some other solution? Where am I going wrong?

suzeeq
10-29-2007, 01:50 PM
You're not getting the same row gauge as the pattern and that happens with most people; stitch gauge is more important. Most patterns have you knit for X inches instead of rows but sometimes with top down raglans it doesn't work out right. You can pick up or cast on the extra ten stitches you need under the armholes.

j4099
10-29-2007, 02:02 PM
The problem is that it is just not 10 stitches I am missing. It is 10 stitches for each front section, 20 for each sleeve section, and 20 for the back. I am knitting on round needles so I can't just add on under the arms at the side seam. If it is my gauge (checked both by swatch and in the piece I am knitting and they are both 4.5stitches to the inch), how do I decide what needle size to go down to. One knitting shop said the needle was too big.....that you can get the correct width but there is too much yarn in the stitch and the stitch elongates. However, when I use a size seven needle, the gauge is 5 but the yoke is still too long.

suzeeq
10-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Okay check to see that you increased correctly; it's usually 8 sts per round, 2 at each of the 4 `seams'.

j4099
11-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Yes I did increase correctly. Any ideas on how I can remedy this? Not just for the yoke but for the rest of the body and the sleeves.
Carol