PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Wool with water proofing stuff

msmelody
10-29-2007, 02:45 PM
My DH needs a new scarf for work and he would like it to be water proof. So, anyone know where to get wool in worsted weight, black in color with the water proofing stuff still in it.

stirsmommy
10-29-2007, 03:06 PM
^There are several different brands but online but you want the wool with lanoline left in it. I am using some right now and I am pretty sure it came in black but can find the label but I can check my lys here if you would like. I think it is a thin worsted even though it says worsted but worse case you could double it.

msmelody
10-30-2007, 03:31 AM
If you would not mind telling me what yarn you are knitting, I would be grateful. Would I search with wool and lanoline in the search box? Do you like the yarn you are knitting with? I have no problem doubling up if needed. Just want to make him a warm and water proof scarf.

Yarnlady
10-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Wool by it's very nature is water resistant. And even if it gets wet it'll still keep one warm.

You could try lightly fulling a scarf. That will add to it's water resistance.

msmelody
10-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Yarnlady,

What does fulling a scarf mean? I will admit in all my years of knitting, I have never heard of that. Please be a dear and explain.

hortonx5
10-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Hi, Joanne. I'm chiming in a little late, but I'll just repeat that you need to look for wool that is "untreated" and still has the lanolin in it. I would think staying away from anything labeled "super wash" would be best. Those have had the lanolin stripped and then they've been treated with a coating that makes them machine washable.

I use wool yarn to make diaper covers to use with cloth diapers, so water proof is very important! I actually like the term "water resistant" better because even wool will feel wet eventually. If your husband is in a downpour, he'll still get wet :teehee:

Fulling and felting are basically the same thing (correct me if I'm wrong, Yarnlady). You would knit up the scarf and them wash it in your washing machine in hot water with a cold water rinse. (The agitation combined with "shocking" the wool in the quick change from hot to cold causes the felting action.) This would shrink the fibers and make for a denser and thicker fabric. Of course this means you would need to knit the original wider and longer than you want the finished product to be. You may want to felt a swatch first to see how much shrinkage you get because an item can shrink up to 50%! (You should see the nice Icelandic wool sweater my brother-in-law owned and cherished for 10 years before he met my sister. She didn't know not to machine wash it. It fits their two-year-old now!)

If you use a good worsted weight yarn or two strands of something a little thinner, I wouldn't think fulling/felting would be necessary but it's definitely something you could try if you'd like.

Hope this helps!

jeanius80
10-30-2007, 03:21 PM
you can knit up any non-superwash wool, then lanolize/waterproof it yourself. here is a tutorial:

link (http://understandinglaura.blogspot.com/2007/09/how-to-lanolize-woolwithout-lanolin.html)

msmelody
10-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Thank you very much for that link.:muah: I think that is what I am going to do for DH.:)

candicane
10-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Here is a teflon-coated wool:

http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/040219_a.asp

candice