PDA

View Full Version : purling

molovekayak
10-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Does purling always feel awkward??

suzeeq
10-30-2007, 12:46 AM
At first yes. After a lot of inches, it'll get easier.

Jan in CA
10-30-2007, 01:16 AM
Yes it does for a bit. It's especially awkward for continental knitters, but you'll get the hang of no matter which way you knit. ;)

Debkcs
10-30-2007, 04:34 AM
I find purling a breeze, but maybe it's because I'm left handed and get to do everything with my 'comfortable' hand.

After a bit of practice, it will be easy for you.

merryknitter
10-30-2007, 09:33 AM
I've just been knitting for a year now and purling was really wierd at first and I didn't care for it...BUT...I kept on purling and just finished a shawl for my bestfriend that had a bazillion purls in it, and now it's just as easy to purl as it is to knit!

The more you purl, the easier it will be! Just keep at it and before you know it, you'll be a pro!

WildMountainHoney
10-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Hmmm, no? I taught myself to knit on a weekend, then by Monday self taught the purl - maybe it's because I didn't get too comfy w/knit first and dove right into purling? And, I do knit continental, and I really love making ribbing, knit, purl, knit, purl - for me it's all fun!

PurlyGyrl
10-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Call me crazy :zombie: but I love to purl (hence the PurlyGyrl nickname) and I knit English, too.

astonh
10-30-2007, 11:09 AM
I started English knitting and hated to purl as I thought it felt backwards... When I moved to Continental, purling still felt funny for a bit but now I don't care either way... knit purl...itthey are both pretty smooth for me now.

Just keep at it... you'll pick it up.

zkimom
10-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Purl, knit -- it's all the same to me. Scoop the yarn through one side of the stitch or the other. No biggie.

knitgal
10-30-2007, 07:06 PM
I actually like it too. I know I'm slower when I purl than when I knit, but I don't mind it at all!

kym
10-30-2007, 09:11 PM
It looks like I'm an english knitter and I have no problems purling but I basiclly learned the knit and purl stitches at the same time so both were awkward for me at first.

The.Knitter
10-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Practice, practice, practice.... that's the word you need to know. The more you pratice the more natural it will feel to you.

Sharly
10-31-2007, 03:28 PM
It will eventually come as naturally to purl as it does to knit, but I do remember it feeling like I was knitting backwards (which is basically what you are doing!) Just hang in there! It's all worth it!!!

McKnitty
10-31-2007, 05:27 PM
I agree that it feels 'weird' for a while, but it gets better with practice. I recently switched to Continental and find that I actually like to purl now. I like to do ribbing now because it is so smooth to move back and forth between knit and purl stitches.

There are so many ways to knit (and purl) that you can experiment until you find what works best for you.

wandersfar
10-31-2007, 05:36 PM
When I used to knit English, I loved to purl... it just felt more comfortable than knitting. I even went out of my way to purl more than knit (garter stitch, for example, can be done flat by purling every row instead of knitting).

But now that I knit Continental, it's just the opposite. Love knitting, find purling not as fun.

I think it has something to do with the way your hands and fingers hold the needles and manipulate the yarn when knitting Continental vs English. Some stitches just feel better than others... :??