PDA

View Full Version : Knit Picks Options came apart....

Mazie
10-30-2007, 01:59 AM
This is the second needle to have come apart. The first needle was a harmony one. The wood part came apart from the metal part. I contacted knit picks and they will send a new pair. This time, it is the metal bit on the end of a cable. I'm thinking I should just glue it back together myself. Now the question is, what kind of glue? I'm also thinking this might be just the time to shorten this cord, What would be a good length? 16", 18" ?
I would use it mainly for making hats and toques.

I have only had this set for a couple of weeks, and have only knit one Calorometry with them. The first set I didn't even get the hat cast on before they came apart. So I don't think it would be from abuse. I would love to hear what you think?

SabrinaJL
10-30-2007, 02:08 AM
A lot of people have had problems with the cables coming apart from the metal join. I had 3 with that problem. KP replaced them all. I tried to glue one but made a mess of it. I think someone on here successfully shortened one of hers to a 16".

knovice
10-30-2007, 03:28 AM
Wow. I wonder if they had a bad batch of them. Mine have been so wonderful, without the slightest bit of looseness or other problems, and I've been recommending them to everyone.

I'm glad to hear that they're willing to send replacements. I wonder if they're using a new supplier or something else has changed with the quality?

GiddyKnitter
10-30-2007, 04:11 AM
I personally wouldn't try to repair it you might make a huge mess. Return it again I know it,s inconvienient but you would never be happy with it having repaired it yourself.x

brendajos
10-30-2007, 08:20 AM
pffft do both. Knit Picks doesn't make you return the defective piece so you can play with it AND get the item repaced! :thumbsup:

lauraknits
10-30-2007, 09:17 AM
I tried to shorten one to 16. The needle tips are too long to work with such a short cord. I could barely knit, it was not comfortable, and I could not purl. I made one 18 that was a little better, but I'd rather magic loop than deal with that!!

bethany
10-30-2007, 09:18 AM
they make a metal glue that I got in the scrapbooking section of Hobby Lobby or Michael's or somewhere...it's in pen-style dispenser

Ellieblue
10-30-2007, 12:09 PM
When this happened to me I used a drop of superglue and then pinched the join with pliers. The only problem was that I plugged the hole for tightening but worked it through with a needle.Ellie

sinistral_needler
10-30-2007, 12:46 PM
For something so expensive, it sure sounds like people have a lot of problems with splintering and cables coming apart! :(

AngMac
10-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Oh no... I have never had a problem with my Options or Harmony's. I wonder if they had a bad batch made. I would call KnitPicks and ask for a replacement rather than trying to do the fix myself.

rissa
10-30-2007, 01:11 PM
When I first bought my Options set one of the cables came out of the join. Then I noticed on one set of needles the screw part was too small so it wouldn't tighten down. They replaced both with out asking for me to return. They are quick with their responses and I haven't had one bit of trouble since. I still LOVE my Options.

dawnk777
10-30-2007, 03:36 PM
My daughter is using her first set of Knit Picks Options. She had a slight problem at first, with the needle tips coming off, but then learned what the little lock thingie was for and has hasn't had a problem since. She is several inches into her Wicked sweater and they have never come apart again.

brendajos
10-30-2007, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't say they have had a lot of problems (or that they were expensive considering how many needle variations you get and how much it would cost to buy them individually... but that's perspective of course.) When you consider how many people are using the needles, and happily so, it really does seem to be a fairly small number that have problems. Very few people will make note when they are happy with a product (though we do tend to GUSH here! ;) ) And when you consider that as soon as you mass produce ANYTHING there are bound to be issues.
I think the real test is in how many of the people who HAVE had problems (and I am one of them... one of my points was stripped) would rather go back to what they were previously using than deal with waiting for a replacement. I am not sure how bad it would have had to be for me to throw in the towel, but whatever it is, it didn't happen. :thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
10-30-2007, 03:56 PM
You can get a few defects with anything that is massed produced. KP is excellent about replacing defective parts.

I've had very good luck with mine and they are all I've knit with since I got them.

One tip, use one of those rubber thingies you open jar lids with to hold the needle while tightening the cable with the little tool. Makes all the difference in the world.

Mazie
10-30-2007, 04:29 PM
It was never a problem with the 'tightening', it's when parts that are glued together come adrift. So far I have used two sets of needles and each has come apart but never come unscrewed. They have come loose but with some gentle tightening they have worked wonderfully, until the glue comes unstuck. Maybe it's just me.

AngMac
10-30-2007, 05:28 PM
I had to call KP today to ask about an order and asked about the cables and apparently they have issued recall on their cables and are replacing them if something goes wrong with yours. So, they must have had a bad batch.

SabrinaJL
10-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Even with the problems I've had with the cables and I even had problems with one set of needle tips, I'd still say they are way worth it. They're awesome.

Auntie-Em
11-11-2007, 10:22 PM
I ordered the Harmony size 0 fixed cable 32" to do Magic Loop for knitting socks. I completed one sock and about 2 inches into the second sock, a needle came out of the join. As others have mentioned, a quick call to customer service and a replacement was on it's way. Their price is very reasonable so my recommendation would be to have a spare on hand so you can continue your project while waiting for the replacement.
IMHO, they are absolutely worth the wait! They are an absolute delight to knit with and nicely priced.