PDA

View Full Version : kitchener to finish a hat?

holamiis
10-30-2007, 02:08 AM
Can I use kitchener stitch to finish up a hat...will it give a smoother finish? I really dislike closing it up by pulling the yarn through the last couple of sts.

what do ya'll think? Or is kitchener how its usually done and I'm just woefully out of the loop?:shifty:

Thanks!

Erin

Mazie
10-30-2007, 02:57 AM
That's what I do, I have even used Kitchner and made a three point closing.
I divided the top evenly by 6 and stitched 2 parts together, moved to the next 2 parts and stitched them, finally the last to parts and had a star(ish) shape on top. kind of cute. I like Kitchner or three needle bind off better than just pulling the yarn through the last dozen stitches. Good thinking.

Jenn_Knitter
10-30-2007, 03:30 PM
I always graft the top of my hats. I also dislike weaving in the yarn tail into the remaining stitches. I prefer the nice, almost seamless look of the Kitchener stitch.

miccisue
10-30-2007, 07:51 PM
In the same vein, how long did it take you to learn kitchener stitch? I've watched the video over and over and it looks so simple, but when I try it I can't find the correct loops or anything. I must admit I do have lousy looking edge stitches, so that probably has a lot to do with it, but I'm so bummed that I haven't gotten the hang of this yet!!!!!!!!:waah:

suzeeq
10-30-2007, 10:00 PM
You could try 3 needle bind off instead. There's a little seam on the inside, but the outside looks grafted.

holamiis
10-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Miccisue- I don't use it to graft edge stitches...I only use it basically to close up a hole (like the top of a hat or the toe of a sock). I suck at picking up stitches so I know any seams from say shoulder to sleeve on a sweater would look awful as well...in fact, picking up the stitches on the heel flap is what has prevented me from knitting another pair of socks, the experience was that bad.

suzeeq
10-31-2007, 12:31 AM
Oh. You can't use kitchener or 3 NBO on edges, they're only for the ends where you have stitches still on the needles. I was still thinking about the top of a hat.

Mazie
10-31-2007, 01:37 AM
To learn the kitchener stitch or to re-learn I use the Knitty article 'Techniques with Theresa'. I have the page open in front of me and follow along picture by picture. Or you could print it off and the text explains every step.

http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer04/FEATtheresasum04.html

Some days it's just easier to follow the pictures, other days, it's the text.

Hope this helps.....