PDA

View Full Version : Just A Tip

jdee
10-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Some of you, who have been knitting longer than I have, may already know this, but I found that plastic hair roller picks work great for pinning knitted pieces together for seaming. Just a little tip I recently learned.

I also read a thread where someone wrote about using a pill bottle to make a center pull ball of yarn. I found that to be quite interesting.

Does anyone have more tips to add?

bethany
10-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Thank you! Tips are good to learn for sure...I don't know any because I'm pretty new to knitting too.

BinkyKat
10-30-2007, 09:40 PM
I've also read the spring loaded clippies are good for holding pieces together. They sell a knit clip but the hair ones work great and you can get several for a lot less $ :thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
10-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Hair roller clips??????????????????????????

I have no clue.

Ironlung21
10-31-2007, 02:39 AM
I'm equally clueless about what on earth hair roller clips might be. Do you have any pictures? My mum had some rollers in the 70's - cant imagine putting them near my knitting. I must have the wrong end of the stick here...

Debkcs
10-31-2007, 06:02 AM
I'm 56, haven't worn a roller in my hair since I was nine, didn't know they were still in use.

Thanks for the tip, though.

knitncook
10-31-2007, 10:57 AM
I actually have used my plastic recorder (music recorder) to make a center pull ball before. Worked pretty good and was easy to slide off (thanks to the tapering). Just make sure you take the bell off first.

cindycactus
10-31-2007, 11:08 AM
I use my long quilting pins to hold the pieces together. Works for me.:happydance:

debinoz
10-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Do you mean these?? My gma had tons of them.

jdee
10-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Do you mean these?? My gma had tons of them.
Yes, those are it. I have some white ones I got from the beauty supply, but they're the same thing.
Mason and Ironlung21, my sister used to roll her hair at night with what she called 'brush rollers,' and they were held in place by these plastic picks. They sell plastic pins at my LYS, but these are less expensive, and there are more of them in a package.
BTW, I don't know how my sister handled those rollers. She'd roll her hair at night, and sleep on them, then the next day, she'd take them out. She put them in my hair once when I was in Junior high school. My hair is board straight, and back them I so wanted curls. Anyway, she rolled my hair one night, and I have to say that was the most sleepless, uncomfortable night I'd ever had, then after all that, my curls only lasted less than half the day. Good thing straight hair is popular now, because I'm never going through that again. :roflhard:

Ironlung21
10-31-2007, 07:21 PM
I know it does sound ridiculous now. My mum had these ceramic spiky things that slotted into a box that plugged into the mains to heat them up. She basically burnt her hair curly - and whilst I dont thing you could of slept with them on - they did smell horrible and were wrong all over. Hence my concern of putting this paraphenalia anywhere near my knitting.

Whats wrong with good old fashioned sewing - you ingenious type you?

brendajos
10-31-2007, 08:28 PM
I think the point is that they hold the pieces together WHILE you are sewing them up. And they are easier to see than regular sewing needles would be.