PDA

View Full Version : Dog question

stitchwitch
10-31-2007, 04:12 PM
My neighbor had to leave town quickly today (daughter is having a baby) and I have to take care of their dog.
Question 1.) How often does he need to go for a walk? He's one of those wizard of oz dogs.
Question 2.) How often do I have to feed him? He has a half bowl of food and fresh water, how much does he need a day?
Neighbor hauled butt out of here and left me an email. No big deal, I understand the urgency but I don't want to over feed the dog and then have them come home to a house full of dog puke. I've been taking him out every couple of hours so far but I'd like to sleep in tomorrow. Help, I'm a cat person.:shrug:

KnittingNat
10-31-2007, 04:29 PM
I don't think you should take him out so often. You could do that before you go to sleep and when you get up. The problem is - dogs are like children, you come to learn their personal preferences with time and you also adjust them to your lifestyle. For example - my dog will always sleep as long as we will, but some other dog could be used to getting out at 6am. About the food - do you have the package? Is it dry or in a can? On dry food it's written on the package how much to give for a particular weight and complexion. I wouldn't make him eat, anyway. If he's got food, leave that there, when he's finished - you can add some. Believe me - if he'll be hungry, he'll ask for it:thumbsup: HTH

iza
10-31-2007, 04:39 PM
well, I only know big dogs, but I would think smaller dogs need to go out a few times a day, probably 4-5 times? I don't think you need to go every 2 hours. As far as food is concerned, it depends. My parents feed their dog twice a day, but many people feed dogs only once a day. I don't think it really matters, as long as you give a "reasonable" quantity of food. If you know the type/brand of food they give to the dog you can check how much to give per day (usually goes by weight). Don't give more than one bowl of food per day I would say. But I wouldn't worry too much, as long as the dog eats and goes outside a few times a day, he/she will be fine. :thumbsup:

HollyP
10-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Is there anyway to contact your neighbor? Every dog is different as far as how many times a day they go out and how much they eat.

My dog really mixes it up how many times he goes out. On weekends he totally takes advantage of my being home and goes out as often as he can. But during the week he is fine being left while I am at school. I take him out when I get up and right before I leave, 6 hours later I come home and take him out.

As far as the feeding it really depends on weight. If you can find the food package it will tell you how much to feed. Here is a site that can give you a rough estimate http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/feeding.htm#Dogs

Good luck!

stitchwitch
10-31-2007, 04:48 PM
There's a bag of dry food near his stuff so I'll check it out. I'll limit the walkies too, thanks all. I feel like someone just left me a baby. My cat is so self sufficient!:roflhard:

debinoz
11-01-2007, 12:53 AM
I have a mini. dach. and I take him out about every 4-5 hours. At night he uses a paper by the door, usually just once, but I get up at 6 and take him out. As for the food, I usually put a cup in his bowl every morning and it lasts all day. If you're afraid s/he may have an accident overnight, you can put his food and water dish up right before bedtime.

stitchwitch
11-01-2007, 08:23 AM
I made it through a day of this, man these dogs are a workout, nothing like having a cat. So far doggie is perfectly fine with our system. I take him out now every 5 hours and I read on the package of dog food he gets 1 3/4 cups a day so were doing that. The only thing is I think he's scamming me for milk bone treats everytime he goes out. He won't leave the laundry room until I give him one after he comes in. I'm pretty sure I'm getting scammed, I can't believe my neighbor gives him one each time. I think they're coming home late tonight, thank God.

Mulderknitter
11-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Kids always scam their sitters!:roflhard: I am sure your neighbor won't mind they'll just be happy your'e such a good neighbor!

Knitting_Guy
11-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Out- every 4 hours during the day.

Food - once a day plus treats.

auburnchick
11-05-2007, 02:45 PM
My vet has us feeding our dogs 2x/day. We split the normal amount in half. They like it because they wake up hungry, and after an entire day of playing and sleeping, they are hungry again.

HamaLee
11-05-2007, 03:40 PM
...after an entire day of playing and sleeping, they are hungry again.

It's the sleeping that exhausts them, really. Dogs have it tough! :teehee:

I do the same with Cooper, split his food into a morning and evening meal. It keeps him eating consistently and staying with a schedule and helps cut down on the tooting. I don't think it really matters if you do once a day or twice a day--whatever works best for your dog.

My roommate free feeds her dogs, which works fine...they get all their nutrition and stay at a healthy weight (our pooches get to run around all day), and she doesn't worry if she has to go away for a weekend as long as she leaves the food out. But man--she goes through a LOT of food that way! I stopped sharing food costs because of it and put Cooper back on his old food/schedule.

sinistral_needler
11-09-2007, 02:01 PM
My dog scams everybody in the house for treat. Doesn't matter that there are only two of us in the house! He will ask me for one and after he gets it, he asks my mom for one. Total scammer.

HamaLee
11-09-2007, 02:19 PM
My dog scams everybody in the house for treat. Doesn't matter that there are only two of us in the house! He will ask me for one and after he gets it, he asks my mom for one. Total scammer.

No kidding. I let my dog out in the mornings while I shower, then bring him in. Ten minutes later he's looking at my roommate, all forlorn, like he's never been allowed outside in his entire life and all he wants in the world is to see grass. He suckers my roommate every time and she lets him back out. He does the same thing with food: I feed him, seconds later he's trying scam my roommate as though he's never had nourishment or affection in his entire life.

He's way too smart for his own good. :teehee:

ladyjessica
11-09-2007, 02:29 PM
We only feed our dogs once in the evening, but they get plenty of nourishment throughout the day from my parents. lol. My biggest boy has learned where they milk bones are kept, and every time he comes in from outside he walks to the box, sticks his nose in it, and gives me the sad, pleading face. Too smart, but how can you resist the eyes? lol

stitchwitch
11-09-2007, 04:48 PM
I was scammed. I asked my neighbor if he gives the treat after each walk and he burst into laughter and told me he gives the treat once a day at best near bedtime when he and his wife are having a snack so Charlie doesn't bother them. I'm such a sucker.