PDA

View Full Version : Sock Yarn?

SherKnit
11-01-2007, 02:52 PM
I have a stash of Caron Simply Soft.....could I use this for socks? If feels soft enough.....will it hold up? Is it a decent choice for socks?
Thinking about a few pairs of socks for xmas presents.

Thanks!

Jan in CA
11-01-2007, 02:56 PM
You can use anything for socks technically, but there are yarns that are better. Good sock yarns usually have some nylon, polyester or something in the as well as to make the sock last longer. Acrylic, while easy to care for, isn't really breathable so it may not be best for socks. If you are allergic or don't like wool there are bamboo and cotton sock yarns, too. Sock yarns also come in different weights if you don't like tiny needles.

I have a stash of Caron Simply Soft.....could I use this for socks? If feels soft enough.....will it hold up? Is it a decent choice for socks?
Thinking about a few pairs of socks for xmas presents.

Thanks!

knitncook
11-01-2007, 03:44 PM
As Jan said, there are better sock yarns. But you could make slipper socks with these, something to keep the toes cozy, but not necessarily something would wear with shoes outside where their feet would stay wet since the yarn wouldn't absorb the moisture. They would knit up really quick though. A friend of mine made some of these last year using RHSS and Caron Soft and just made long tubes with a decreased toe then took puff paint and put "safety dots" on the bottoms of them. She made them for all her nieces and nephews. Most of the "dots" were actually their names. They were really cute!

Also you could do them like a traditional sock (heel flap or short row heel) as well.