PDA

View Full Version : Do You Lean Towards The Same Projects?

stacyk9
11-01-2007, 05:15 PM
I have been adding tons of "Favorites" to my list on Ravelry and I've noticed that I keep adding the same projects: hats, scarves & blankets. I've got a few other things in there, but that is the majority. Do any of you lean towards the same projects or are you an equal opportunity knitter?

mare-nitt
11-01-2007, 05:19 PM
That's a good question, right now I lean towards finishing something that turns out, so I will actually wear it. I think I am still in the learning curve.;)

Jan in CA
11-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I do kinda.. I don't have too many in my queue right now, but I have 3 bags, 1 shawl, and 1 baby sweater. I guess if I look at my overall knitting my downfall would be things like baby/kid sweaters for charity. I've also made a ton of hats. Almost literally. :teehee: I am making socks now and I can foresee a lot of these in my future. I don't like scarves and blankets..too much of the same thing like that and I get too bored. ;)

stirsmommy
11-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Right now I tend to like bags. They knit up quickly and I can try out different techniques on them. With bags I have learned how to carry my color, do icords, and do mosaic knitting. On one of the bags I am working on I will be learning to stick a zipper in something I have felted. Hope it isn't any harder than putting in a skirt! I have some other bags that I am waiting on until after Christmas to start. Some with bobbles and then some that are just in my head. But I really want to get in to some more sweaters next year.

vaknitter
11-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Not only do I tend towards the same items, I prefer the same pattern ! Once I get comfortable with a pattern I hesitate to change b/c my knitting time is sooo limited I don't want to spend time frogging. I'm still trying to get up the nerve to start clogs and I plan on doing 3-5 pair for Christmas !!

redheadrachel
11-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Socks. Always socks. If I could only knit one thing for the rest of my life, it would be socks. You can do anything with socks :)

Socks.

mwedzi
11-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I am definitely a sweater girl. 95% of what I'm interested in is a sweater or cardigan

knitgal
11-01-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm definitely in an afghan/throw phase....not quite sure why, but yes I think it's common.

suzeeq
11-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I do a little of everything except socks and bags, though I've done a couple mesh shopping bags. Just getting into baby blankets; doing one now for a charity craft fair at work, and one of these days my kids will start having kids.

cdjack
11-01-2007, 11:02 PM
When I first started teaching myself to knit, I stuck with scarves for awhile. Which is really funny because I live in Texas. Then, I moved on to pillows. Then, I finally moved on to a sleeveless sweater. But, I think my favorite thing to knit at the moment is bags. I knitted a blanket ONCE. It took months. By the time I was finished with it, it was too warm to need it. I think I'm a bit more of a instant gratification knitter. Well, maybe not instant...

Riss
11-01-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm totally stuck on fingerless gloves and scarves right now. I think its mostly because it's getting colder and christmas is coming.

I'm trying to knit socks, but just can't manage getting past the first half inch. Its just so.. small... and boring :\

Marj
11-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Yes, I am too.

When I first started knitting a year ago I was stuck on scarves. I have made around 20 of them this year.

But now I seem to be stuck on baby blankets and booga bags. I've made 5 Boogas so far. And jusst in the past 2 days I've bought quite a bit of Noro Kureyon yarn. I love the colors but not the yarn itself. I think it is really mostly only good for felting. So a few more Boogas here I come.

CountryKitty
11-02-2007, 08:22 AM
NOPE! I think I have Adult ADD--I have more ideas for a wide variety of projects than I have time to start the, let alone finish! (I'm also in nursing school so my free time is limited.)

Right now I'm finishing up a Shrug after seeing the basic pattern on Knitty Gritty (of course I had to add my own touches). Next is a pair of crotched scarves for the Gran'babies (I'm ripping off the alligator scarf idea at the top of the page!). Then an illusion scarf for ME! And maybe a Mosaic afghan to use up all my oddbits. (A knitted 'quilt' wallhanging, socks, poncho, and etc are on the waiting list.)

I'm trying to be strict with myself--my goal is to finish up 2 projects before starting the next one, LOL!

The.Knitter
11-02-2007, 08:34 AM
I used to knit only simple patterns... over and over again. Then I became disabled and had nothing but time on my hands. I branched out into more difficult items like lacy baby dresses and a baby outfit that looks like a teddy bear (or perhaps a sleeper that looks like a teddy bear, ears and all), is all one piece except the sleeves and is sooo cute, but very difficult. I did this sort of thing for a few years over and over again. Then I found this site. Now I am knitting reversible scarves, fingerless gloves, afghans, all kinds of projects. My to-do list is huge. My "favourites" section on the computer is packed with patterns I want to try. I guess now I am "just a knitting fool".

candicane
11-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Hats and sweaters! Hats for everyone. Sweaters mostly for me.

candice

MrsDavis3
11-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Among all the above posters, I most resemble countrykitty.
I have several projects OTN and there is no redundancy:

1 scarf
1 sweater
1 sock
1 pillow cover
1 shawl
1 hat

I bounce from one to the other according to mood. I prefer having different kinds of projects in process. It does seem to me that it's been ages since I actually finished something, though. I do finish things, but the sheer volume of WIPs seems to overshadow them.

MrsDavis3
11-02-2007, 09:05 AM
When I first started knitting a year ago I was stuck on scarves. I have made around 20 of them this year.

That number impresses me!

Plantgoddess+
11-02-2007, 03:53 PM
I have a 20+ year collection of patterns and when I go search for something I want to knit I find multiples of the same item that I like. It was sweaters and now it's afghans. I throw socks in as needed.

jess_hawk
11-02-2007, 05:08 PM
I nearly always have a hat OTN. I do a variety of other things, but I love hats: they're easy to knit, fast, and I can do a huge variety of things with them. I do NOT do scarves (I've done four, that's enough for me) nor blankets/afghans (I have one OTN for using up my scraps, but that's all). Other than that, its all fair game!

stitchwitch
11-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Bags and clogs. Some of the bags are my own pattern, some are off the internet. Clogs are a big thing when it cools down, can't wear 'em in the summer here. I'll probably be making another pair of those when I get done with my next felted bag

tasknitter
11-03-2007, 12:46 AM
definately kids clothes, at the moment. I get a huge mental list of things i want to do, and for whom etc etc, buy lots of books with beautiful pictures and pore over them for hours, decide to wait till i find the right wool, so end up buying other wool on the spur of the moment or on sale and doing heaps of fill in things, very strange indeed. I just didn't realise quite how addictive the whole thing is! We are proud new owners of a laptop because our old computer kicked the bucket and I was having withdrawals from my knitting-surfing, I have enormous files of lovely patterns waiting for me to do!

lostchyld
11-03-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm a fairly random knitter, myself. I'll work on anything that catches my fancy. Lately, though, fingerless gloves are the order of the day. I promised myself a couple pairs and some friends like my pattern. I've got three sets of fingerless gloves, one pair of armwarmers and half a pair of tipless gloves that I'm making to learn how to add fingers. I just finished work on a shawl and the pecan pie beret from knitty for myself and I've got a scarf otn and one in the wings for both of my ds. There's also a pair of socks in the wings and a sweater otn.

Honestly, I like working small gauges in the round, so I forsee lots of socks and hand things in the future. Big lacy projects that take forever and are challenging are fun, so I could see making another shawl or skirt. After this Christmas, I don't see making another scarf unless someone specifically asks for one. I figure I'll do one more sweater because I want to make a Telemark ski sweater.

Total projects:
For hands and arms: 5
For neck: 2
Wraps: 1
For head: 1
Sweaters: 1
For feet: 1

knitpurlgurl
11-03-2007, 04:28 PM
I really do. But until I become a more experienced knitter, I'm sure this will be more likely. I'd like to become more adventurous in my knitting. :aww: