PDA

View Full Version : Question about Edges

starshine
11-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Ok I'm new to both knitting and the forums so hopefully I'm posting this in the right spot. I'm practicing knitting one row and then purling the next but along the left and right edges of my work the edges are uneven and loopy.

What am I doing wrong? I try to work the ends tight (but not too tight) and I try to maintain the same tension through out the work but I just can't seem to get the nice edges I see on many other people's work out there.

If anyone can provide some insight I would sure appreciate it!

Kelly
---
The StarShine Company
www.starshinecompany.com

laptop_knitter
11-01-2007, 07:07 PM
this is a common problem- try slipping the first stitch on each row-insert your right needle as if you're going to knit normally,then just slip it off the needle without wrapping your yarn to make a new stitch.

boo1
11-01-2007, 07:13 PM
this is a common problem- try slipping the first stitch on each row-insert your right needle as if you're going to knit normally,then just slip it off the needle without wrapping your yarn to make a new stitch.

Even the first row? I had sloppy edges when I was doing a scarf in garter stitch. I couldn't decide if it was the yarn (very bulky), my cast on (I've since learned slingshot) or the nature of stockinette.

Thanks!

momwolf
11-01-2007, 07:40 PM
This should help you
http://www.wolfandturtle.net/Yarnpath/index.php/Yarnpath/stupid_knitting_tricks_the_chain_selvedge/

starshine
11-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Thank you so much! I'll give it a whirl and see if it helps.

boo1
11-01-2007, 09:39 PM
I saw something like that in SnB just a little while ago but didn't read it all the way through.

:muah:

suzeeq
11-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I don't slip the edge sts, mine look looser and much worse than just knitting them. But I did find that when you make the first stitch, then pull the yarn a little it pulls up the slack from the end st on the row below. Then knit the next couple stitches a little tighter. That helps a lot.

starshine
11-01-2007, 10:23 PM
I don't slip the edge sts, mine look looser and much worse than just knitting them. But I did find that when you make the first stitch, then pull the yarn a little it pulls up the slack from the end st on the row below. Then knit the next couple stitches a little tighter. That helps a lot.

This is what I was trying but found I couldn't be consistantly even with it.

(p.s. glad I found this message board - all I need is another addiction!)

MrsDavis3
11-02-2007, 09:56 AM
I do what suzeeq does.

Songbirdy
11-02-2007, 10:11 AM
I found with my knitting that this is something that tends to get better with time.

Or practise.

You might want to consider adding a few 'selvage' stitches to the edge if you are making a sweater or something.

That will mean you need to hem your project, but you'll be folding in the wonky edge.

This won't always work, but it is an idea!