PDA

View Full Version : Help

antonia
11-01-2007, 08:09 PM
I am looking for a knit felted hat with a contrasting band. I have found just a band around the hat but would like to make the band look like triangles. Any ideas.

psammeadred
11-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Do you want the triangles to be the same color as the hat or a different color? You could probably use a regular hat pattern, like this (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwe-ellensHat.html)one, and add some triangles with either reverse stockinette stitch or a second color.
If you have a multiple of eight stitches, this would make a triangle pattern (if you're knitting in the round). Just knit the K's and purl the P's (or use one color for the K's and another for the P's).

kkkkkkkp
pkkkkkpp
ppkkkppp
pppkpppp

antonia
11-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Do you want the triangles to be the same color as the hat or a different color? You could probably use a regular hat pattern, like this (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwe-ellensHat.html)one, and add some triangles with either reverse stockinette stitch or a second color.
If you have a multiple of eight stitches, this would make a triangle pattern (if you're knitting in the round). Just knit the K's and purl the P's (or use one color for the K's and another for the P's).

kkkkkkkp
pkkkkkpp
ppkkkppp
pppkpppp
Thank you so much, I am knitting in the round making a felted hat, I want to make a contrasting band . I am going to try your example. The hat is oatmeal I want the contrasting band to be green. How did you determine this pattern? Please any further advise would be appreciated.
Thank you and thankyou

redwitch
11-07-2007, 07:15 AM
She has put in rows of purls and knits arranged in triangles, see how at the top row there are lots of k stitches? That is the top of an upside-down triangle. On the bottom row, there is only one k: that is the bottom point of the triangle.
kkkkkkkp
pkkkkkpp
ppkkkppp
pppkpppp

kkkkkkk
-kkkkk
--kkk
---k
I have just removed the purls here - see the triangle? (Ignore the horizontal lines, I had to add them to get the ks in the right place)
This should make triangles, but after the fabric is felted, I think the triangles will not stand out, felting makes the stitch definition disappear. I think the triangles will be invisible or you will have to look very closely to see a difference.
I think another colour would be better for a felted item, make sure you knit a little practice square with triangles in these same two colours if you do try it, and felt the square. Some wools and different colours will felt differently and give you a bad effect, so check first.