PDA

View Full Version : Guys Crocheting.

knitgrrl
11-01-2007, 08:31 PM
I think that it is pretty cool and sweet that some guys are knitting and crocheting.
:cheering::happydance:.
What do you guys think about it.

MaleKnitter
11-02-2007, 12:05 AM
I love to knit and crochet, I think that if more guys would just stop being afraid of "looking girly" then there would be just about as many men as women on this website

ritaw
11-02-2007, 02:04 PM
I agree Maleknitter. I have purchased little needles for my son last year and he knits a few line when he can be bothered but he enjoys it.
What is wrong with doing something that creates such lovely things and also keeps the mind working.

EssenceRose
11-02-2007, 06:03 PM
The constraints of society often baffle me. It wasn't that long ago that men were the only ones that did the knitting... Women didn't start doing it until after the world war began, from memory. Now if men get "caught" knitting or crocheting, they are considered "girly"... go figure! LOL

monzogary
11-06-2007, 01:37 PM
We have three regulars in my knit and crochet group that are guys, and have had a few others come on and off before. I think its really great!

MMario
11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
There was nothing unusual in a guy knitting up until (roughly) WWI - and many men in the armed services, or men who had solitary jobs were known for their knitting up until WWII - then somehow, it became a "feminine" thing.

OffJumpsJack
11-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Okay. :eyebrow2:

Hello, my name is Jack (John really, but I was going for a little bit of anonymity here :roll:) and I know how to crochet and knit. :guyknitting:

**next** :out:

Jack

KatieBeee
11-20-2007, 08:02 PM
I think men that knit and crochet rock, and I have been trying to get my pops to let me teach him. I'll get him one day.

redmom37
11-20-2007, 09:38 PM
my 12yo son knits & is trying to learn to crochet . now if he'll just finish one! LOL.:wink:

LaFlaca1226
11-23-2007, 09:49 PM
My confession: I am a little afraid that my DH will become way better than me if he picks up the needles. :aww: But then again, that way he could help me if I get stuck.

But anyway, men crocheting seems normal to me because my uncle always crocheted. Still does.

The.Knitter
11-24-2007, 06:23 AM
Welcome Jack (John) and you don't need to be anonymous here. The next step is to just keep on crocheting. I think it's wonderful that you can make beautiful things. Have a look around and see if you can score some free patterns. This site will inspire you to become an addict like all the rest of us.

sylvia
11-24-2007, 12:32 PM
go for it
the he ck with the world
art is art
sylvia:woohoo:

knitcrazed
11-24-2007, 01:51 PM
I've been knitting for several years, all self-taught. I was a little shy at first to knit in public. But now I'm proud to be a male knitter and will knit in public w/o any fear. I've been amazed by how many people stop to ask me questions. Most ask what I'm knitting. While others often say that they wished they could knit. Granted most have been women but I have had some men who have stopped me (all very nice). I look at knitting in public as a way to evangelize men who knit and to inspire others to get hooked (up pun slightly intended).

I also promote this site whenever possible. It is the best site on the internet for knitting help and for a great knitting forum.

Happy Holidays All!

Knitcrazed (aka Keith)

mommydearest
11-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the info about men knitting b4 WWII - I didn't know that. My dh wants to learn both crochet and knit - just haven't given him my time yet (too much to get done b4 Christmas and maybe worried he'll do better than me too.) He has a lot more patience than I do. I did teach him to use my sewing machine (does better than me!). I did teach my 9 yo son both - also wish he would continue with what he started so I can teach him more.

I think all guys should learn if they want to and not be worried about stereotypes. Remember the movie with Sylvester Stalone knitting? Can't remember the name but it took place in the future and cryogenics (frozen).

Mary