PDA

View Full Version : So what do you do with all of the odd bits?

stirsmommy
11-01-2007, 10:21 PM
I was looking at my yarn drawers today and I realized I am getting quite an oddbit collection going. I mean the bits that are left over that aren't big enough to be something yet too big to go in the trash; the partial skeins? Most of mine are wool and some of them I will use to needle felt on a tote I hope to make in the future. But a lot of them are just bits that go with the Christmas presents I am making. I know that I can use them in crafts and give them to the kids to create stuff but I am wondering if I am not missing out on some great knitting project. What do you do with yours?

Becky Morgan
11-01-2007, 10:46 PM
A lot of mine are slowly going into a Danica scarf. Bigger bits, square, smaller bits, triangles. I also use up a lot in various kinds of granny squares...yes, I do the C word!:D
You can make all sorts of Christmas ornaments from yarn bits, too. Angel dolls, temari balls (sp?)...wonder how a felted temari ball would look if you wound it around one of the plastic cores from an old satin ball?

stirsmommy
11-01-2007, 10:49 PM
A lot of mine are slowly going into a Danica scarf. Bigger bits, square, smaller bits, triangles. I also use up a lot in various kinds of granny squares...yes, I do the C word!:D
You can make all sorts of Christmas ornaments from yarn bits, too. Angel dolls, temari balls (sp?)...wonder how a felted temari ball would look if you wound it around one of the plastic cores from an old satin ball?

The danica scarf looks like a cool way to learn entrelac. Thanks!

Riss
11-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Well, if you're a crocheter, amigurumi is an awesome way to get rid of bits and pieces. Or you could make decorative flowers to sew onto your knitted pieces...

I'm not quite good enough with knitting yet to know what to do with odds and ends though...

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-02-2007, 01:24 AM
a friend of mine takes odds and ends of her acryllic and makes afghans for project linus. I have also seen hats for adults made with odds and ends.

CountryKitty
11-02-2007, 08:13 AM
I use up odds and ends in a sort of Mosaic Afghan. I Made one several years ago and am going to start another soon to use up my oddbit stash. I used black as a background color, used all the cool colors (multiple shades of blues and purples and maroons and ombres of those colors). With half skeins I made the largest blocks (about 10 0r 12") and with the small balls I made smaller squares and rectangles. There were 2-5 stitches/rows of black surrounding each color. The black made the colors stand out nicely. (Mind you, I used afghan stitch for it--made a very nice and heavy afghan that the kids just about wore out as a floor throw in front of the TV, travel blanket, nap-wrap, etc.)

thymetraveler
11-02-2007, 12:53 PM
At one point, (30 yrs ago) I had a huge stash of bits.
The internet did not exist, but I found a pattern somehow that was an afghan consisting of 20 strips, all single crochet.

Each strip had a unique pattern, one was a Greek key pattern, one was cirles,
etc.

When finished, it looked like something out of a Mayan temple, it's still in use, & the compliments continue to roll in.

I no longer have the pattern, but you could easily make one up, then it's not only something you made, but designed as well.

debinoz
11-02-2007, 03:27 PM
I use mine to make an afghan. Just grab a ball and start knitting/crocheting until it runs out and grab another. I saw a link on here somewhere a long while back that had one done. The maker also used up the bits of that fluffy eyelash stuff too. It was pretty cool looking.

PurlyGyrl
11-02-2007, 03:34 PM
I use a lot of my odd bits of acrylic to knit and/or crochet blankets for my dogs and cats. They don't mind a mix of colors or stitches.
And I :heart: love Becky Morgan's idea of using the bits to make a Danica scarf:thumbsup: