PDA

View Full Version : What may be a stupid question, about packing yarn...

newbieknitter
11-01-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm about to leave on a two week trip and want to take some knitting with me. I've got some of those 'compression' bags (typically used for packing clothing in such a way to take up less place...those 'spacebag' kinda things). Am wondering since I want to take several skeins of yarn if I'd be okay 'compressing' it in one of those or ya think that will take too much oooomph out of it? Thoughts?

miccisue
11-02-2007, 07:51 AM
I've never tried this, but I'd think it might not be the greatest idea. I mean, think of basically how "flat" your clothes are to begin with, then think how fluffy the yarn skeins are.
I don't doubt that after washing, etc. the fullness would come back, but maybe sucking all the air out of it might make it harder to knit with?????? Of course, it may depend on the yarn you're talking about, too....I would imagine cottons and such (which tend to be a more "compact" yarn to begin with) wouldn't suffer as much as wools. But, I could be totally wrong....just some thoughts off the top of my head.:shrug:

Silver
11-02-2007, 08:06 AM
I regularly use spacebags to store my yarn and fiber. I've never had a problem. The yarn poofs up as soon as I take it back out, and I store them for months, even years. The only casualty is a wrinkled yarn label.

newbieknitter
11-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Thank you, that's the answer I was hoping for Silver! LOL