PDA

View Full Version : I want a set of circular needles, best???

tasknitter
11-02-2007, 07:47 AM
people seem pretty passionate about sets of circular needles, by that I mean points or tips and cables to make the needles you need, so I want a set,!! bearing in mind that they will probably be bought online, and I want value for money and won't want to haveto replace etc etc all the normal, what is the best one, saw something about one called silverado or something, also they say you can make them as long as you like, How long is that exactly, I'm guessing you only get a limited cable size?
Input appreciated

The.Knitter
11-02-2007, 08:00 AM
I am told the "Options" are really good, but I prefer my "Denise Interchangables". If you like the metal needles with more pointy tips go for Options. If you prefer knitting with resin (plastic) then the Denise are the way to go. The advantage with the Denise are that you don't screw in the tip, you just slip it on and give a 1/4 turn to lock it into place. It makes changing tip size sooo much easier. You can get the Denise right here on this site and proceeds go to helping Amy and Sheldon keep the site up and running. They are the most reasonable set according to my research. I've had my Denise Interchangables for more than a month, use them every day and love them. Here are the tip sizes and the cable sizes you get with the Denise set: tips, US sizes 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10 1/2, 11, 13, & 15; cables, 5", 9", 12", 14:, 16" and 19". You get two extendors to put the cables together and make longer sizes, you also get 4 buttons for making stitch holders or straight needles out of the cables. It all comes down to preference of tips and materials used to make needles. As I said before Options for metal tips with sharper points, Denise Interchangables for "easy on" tips and variety of cable lengths, plus resin tips which grip the yarn a bit better. Good luck choosing!

cftwo
11-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Your first choice should be between the interchangeables and "fixed" needles. I don't have the interchangeables, so I can't comment on those.

My absolute favorite fixed (i.e., ones you don't take apart and can't exchange tips/cords on) are Addi Turbos. Worth every penny. The only drawback to them is that I find that they work best with yarns that aren't too slippery. The Addi Natura (wooden circular needles) are very nice, too.

suzeeq
11-02-2007, 11:00 AM
It depends what you like and what you need. The Options and lace Addis have sharper tips, good for lace knitting and handy for most knitting, but so do the Boyes, both fixed and interechangeables. Some people prefer wood needles, but they're really better for slippery yarn, otherwise metal ones are preferable. If you do a lot of Magic loop you may want the options because the cords are more flexible. You can buy a single set of tips and cord, or a fixed circular to see how you like them. I don't know if the fixed Addis are like the set, but you could try one of them out.

Jaxhil
11-02-2007, 11:14 AM
The Options are good if you like metal needles with very pointy tips, and tiny cables. They are screw on, interchangeable tips, that come in a set that goes from size 4 to (hmmmm, I am guessing) 10 I believe. And of course you can buy tips in other (larger) sizes as well (very reasonably priced!). They are a bit fiddly to change but not too bad, and they stay together well and have a wonderful thin flexible"cable". The set only comes with two lengths of cables which cannot be combined, a 24" and a 32". I think they may now be offering a 16" cable as well, and you can buy additional lengths inexpensively.

The Denise's have already been described well above-but I just wanted to add that I agree, they are much easier to change tips, and the cables that they come with, though not as thin, are combineable so you can make *lots* of different lengths. I like my Denise's very much!

Good luck choosing! Plymouth even makes bamboo interchangeables (screw-on) that might be nice if you prefer wood. However, they are more expensive thn the previously mentioned sets.

mdog182
11-02-2007, 12:38 PM
i will have to offer up the options set as well. it's a great set and you can more needles and different cable lengths to the set making it very very versatile. i used to only knit on straights now i knit pretty much everything on a circular needle. i also love the knitpicks fixed circulars for the same reasons why the interchangeables are great.... GREAT price, very flexible thin cable, and i tend to prefer sharper/pointier tips. the addi turbos are great fixed circulars as well but they are a bit pricier. if i don't need a needle IMMEDIATELY i prefer to wait and get the knitpicks fixed circulars. hope my 2 cents helped!

tguzman
11-02-2007, 03:12 PM
For socks i love my 20" addi turbo's , but i also love my Knit Pick Options needles as well i just wish knit picks would come up with 20 cables or my 16 or 18' and be different ..

bjc1050
11-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Frankly, if I were to get interchangeable again, I would try the Options. I've been disappointed in my Boye Needlemaster set. Don't like the feel of the finish on the metal and the needles separate from the cable unexpectedly.

However, I have accummulated a good collection of Susan Bates Silvalume and Silverado in addition to some Addi Turbos and Inox Express...all of which are great needles. You can get Inox Express at www.schoolhousepress.com. The Susan Bates Silverado needles are identical to the Inox Express and may even be made by the same outfit.

janettle
11-02-2007, 04:53 PM
A key part of the interchangeable decision for me was deciding whether my stitches tended towards being too tight or too loose.

Since my stitches are usually too tight, I decided for the Knitpicks Options in metal.

Someone with loose stitches may prefer some help keeping the stitches on the needle, and the Denise needles may be preferable.

tasknitter
11-03-2007, 12:37 AM
thanks everyone, that's given me food for thought! I'm compiling my xmas list so I've got a bit of time!
not sure if the poll was at the top of the forum before I posted my question or not but that was helpful too