PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one without multiple WIP's?

gargoylelib
11-02-2007, 10:59 AM
I was just wondering as it seems so many people comment on their
multiple wip's or have in the signature all the things that are
on the needles....am I really the only weirdo who likes to just finish
what I'm doing before starting something new? I have a huge list
of things to do with the patterns all ready and in some cases yarn
already bought but no new cast-ons occur while I have a current
project. I admit I'm a bit obsessive about finishing things but...
well, just wondering....?

Libbie :)

msmelody
11-02-2007, 11:07 AM
I usually only have one project at a time. Except for right now, I have a baby blanket and a simple headband on the needles at the same time.

zebstriped
11-02-2007, 11:10 AM
I wish I had your restraint...always multiple projects on needles here!

cindycactus
11-02-2007, 11:16 AM
I can't remember ever having more than one project going at one time. I like to finish and then move on to another one. In the past two weeks I have finished three Irish Hiking scarves and three of Silver's hats in the same yarn to match the scarves. I am going to move on to socks for the ggd's now.:knitting:

suzeeq
11-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes, get an idea, or see a new pattern, drop what I'm doing and try out the new thing. Sometimes I just do a sample, or maybe most of a project, but I do go back to finish what I stopped. Unless I find a better idea for that yarn....

msoebel
11-02-2007, 11:44 AM
I usually have one project at a time. I have a few right now because I ran out of yarn for one and have yet to get it. I didn't want to wait until I remembered to make the trip...so I started another project.

GiddyKnitter
11-02-2007, 11:51 AM
I have several WIP'S at the moment 2 little jumpers for my DGS just needing the necks doing..1 pair of fingerless gloves...1 scarf...1 jumper with only half the back done!!! I keep saying that I will finish these projects before starting anything else, but everytime I visit KH and see what you are all doing I start something else!!

mwhite
11-02-2007, 12:02 PM
I was just wondering as it seems so many people comment on their
multiple wip's or have in the signature all the things that are
on the needles....am I really the only weirdo who likes to just finish
what I'm doing before starting something new? I have a huge list
of things to do with the patterns all ready and in some cases yarn
already bought but no new cast-ons occur while I have a current
project. I admit I'm a bit obsessive about finishing things but...
well, just wondering....?

Libbie :)

I think you're the smart one!!! I have multiple projects and unless I make good notes, they sometimes become LOS (lost in space). So :yay: for you and the others for your stick-to-it-tiveness!!! :thumbsup:

trollgirl
11-02-2007, 12:07 PM
I used to only have one project at a time when I first started knitting because I felt that I should complete something before moving on to something else. And then I started a really long scarf. I didn't want to do anything else until I finished it, but it was dreadfully dull. Eventually I put it away and actually stopped knitting for six months because every time I thought about the scarf I remembered how bored I got knitting it. It never occured to me to start a new project.

When I started knitting again I decided to cast more than one project. This works out really well for me because I have what I consider "easy" knitting and more challenging knitting. The easy knitting which I do when I'm watching TV or when I get breaks during video games (waiting for other people etc.), because I don't have to stare at my hands that much. The more challenging knitting I do when all I'm doing is knitting. Right now I'm working on a pair of socks on DPNs and they have cables on them, so on the cable rows I'm wrangling six tiny needles at once. Requires all my concentration to make sure I don't drop stitches. I usually do one or two repeats of that a day.

Anyway, this is what keeps me from being bored with one project. I find that if I feel obligated to complete something, it stops being fun for me. If I tell myself I'm obligated to finish this boring scarf before starting something new and fun, it starts becoming a chore. I don't want knitting to be a chore.

stirsmommy
11-02-2007, 12:14 PM
I have severall on my needles. However, I have promised myself that I can't start another new one until I have one on the needles finished. I like the freedom to project hop. I knit on whatever I have the time and concentration for at that moment. I have projects that require different degrees of concentration that I pull out depending on what is happening around me.

lelvsdgs
11-02-2007, 12:32 PM
I have been trying to only do one at a time....until I started this sweater. I forgot how long they can take to make and so have done a couple of quickie projects in between as occasions have come up. It is nice to have a small project to fill in when you want to knit but just not that big project. I'm getting closer, the sleeves are almost done... :drool:

thymetraveler
11-02-2007, 01:02 PM
I am in Suzeeq's group.:knitting:

Songbirdy
11-02-2007, 01:15 PM
I limit myself to about 3 projects.

But I've had some things come up.

for example:

my mother's sweater: she asked me to alter the pattern as it was cropped and she is not a cropped sweater person. I bought extra yarn (a lot) but... will not have enough to finish it. I've spent 3 years searching for more yarn as I can't frog this kind of yarn and it hurts to see so much knitting not being used!

my red sock: this one is stuck in SSS because I was gifted with a set of Rosewood needles (muchos $)... any how after I finished the first sock my daughter got locked in the bathroom. My son decided to let me nap (in itself noble) but used my Rosewood needle to open the door. Only he snapped it. Then he proceeded to get another needle and gave it to Sister who snapped hers. She then decided to go out the window... where I found her later, stranded on the roof of the kitchen. A set of 5 can work for socks as a set of 4... but not 3! and unfortunately I can't seem to get the size right as the needles aren't standard and I've knit 3/4's of the second sock 4 times now on various similar needles... so... I have a red stocking!

Right now I have:

Cable vest: very intricate pattern and I require a good 3 hours of knitting time to be willing to work on it as I feel I must leave the pattern at a certain spot or I can't seem to pick it up without tinking otherwise. Plus I knit for a bit first since I want consistent gauge.

DH's sock: the second sock... going well... mindless stocking sts. Yummy wool/yarn combo...

DD's Sweater: fun pattern but pink, pink, pink... and I haven't had the desire to be in the pink right now. I've completed any piece on the needles as of right now but have 3 sections to still knit.

Then I have one project held in the making up stage. That is DS's sweater. I want to give both sweaters to the children at the same time... so I am just sitting on this one.

Planned for cast on as soon as DH's sock is finished is my hat and scarf. That way I can use part of the leftover yarn to knit matching mittens.

This will be the 6th hat and scarf set I've knitted for myself. Each one so far I've given to people as I've been out... I'm a random knit giver! :teehee: No one has refused yet!

cftwo
11-02-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm better about having only 1 cross-stitch project going at a time, but it's not unusual for me to put down a project for a while because of a deadline on another project.

wednesday
11-02-2007, 02:16 PM
I must confess that I am one of the Queen's of unfinished projects.....

Quilting, sewing, cross-stitch you name it I have projects that were started and never finished. Lot's of money spent on stuff I have no desire to ever finish. I promised myself ..... NO More.

I now will buy patterns that I like ( low cost and easy to store ) but materials will only be purchased for 1 or 2 projects ahead and only 2 WIP. I really wanted to only have one project going but I like many others do get bored or burned out working only on one thing. I prefer a mindless easy one and whatever more involved one I really am trying to complete.

Just Finished = Prayer Shawl, Cocoon coat ( but I hate the yarn and will get rid of it, it was my start back projest and it looks like it too )

WIP
Finishing the edges on a ruffle scarf in a scallop crochet = mindless
Double Happiness Jacket = first little panel done, started the second

purchased materials for a shawl/scarf and half for another Double Happiness?

RachelJean
11-02-2007, 02:29 PM
I usually only work on 1 project at a time. Right now is an exception because I have two shawls in progress and I feel a little guilty about starting the second one before the first one was done. I could never have more than two projects going because it would totally stress me out.

bip
11-02-2007, 02:54 PM
I go through phases. Right now I probably have more WIPs than ever before. I attribute it to the "Raverly Effect" - I got so much inspiration, I tried to make everything at once :teehee: In addition to the Ravelry-inspired WIPs, I have THREE sweaters in final assembly at the moment (one dating back to March ended up too small for the person and I needed to add on, but had to find the right dyelot of yarn, etc). I do most of my knitting on the subway, and assembly is the one part I can't do on the train! My horse has been keeping me busy on weekends lately, so I haven't finished them up when I expected.

Normally I keep 3 projects in progress. One that can be worked on on public transit, one that can't be worked on in public (too messy/complicated), and a third for when I need a short break from one of the other two. This also helps me make sure I never finish both projects at once and don't have a project going that I can take with me in an "emergency").

I did just frog a few WIPs that had been sitting outside my rotation for several months. I re-wound the yarn and found projects for it that I liked better.

debinoz
11-02-2007, 03:07 PM
I usually only have one, but right now I have two. A Cowboys hat to match the scarf for future BIL#4 (I just started numbering them, it's easier!) and DD's sweater. I'm waiting for needles to do the sleeves... something that for some reason didn't occur to me to get when I got the yarn.