PDA

View Full Version : Socks

katiebug081504
11-02-2007, 12:35 PM
So, I'm in the process of making my 2nd sock; however, it is not the match to the first sock I made. I have been thinking a lot about this sock though. I've had to do a lot of ripping back a few rows, altering the pattern. Basically this sock is just plain frustrating. Anyways, the main thing I want to know...do you actually wear the socks that you knit? Or just make them because their pretty. I just hate to think of wearing holes into all of this work.

tootie44
11-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Yes, I do wear the socks I make and both my DH and FIL love when I make them socks too.

I agree, making sure you have two matching socks can be hard.

What I do is knit both socks at the same time on 2 sets of DPNs so I can make sure they match as I go. So I will knit the cuff of one and then the cuff of the other, then both the legs and so on. I can hold the socks up to each other as I go to make sure they match.

lelvsdgs
11-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes, I do wear the socks I make and both my DH and FIL love when I make them socks too.

What I do is knit both socks at the same time on 2 sets of DPNs so I can make sure they match as I go. So I will knit the cuff of one and then the cuff of the other, then both the legs and so on. I can hold the socks up to each other as I go to make sure they match.
That is a brilliant idea! I have seen the books about doing two on two circs but I like this idea even better. I knit sleeves at the same time for just this reason. Thanks for the tip!:notworthy:

tguzman
11-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Yes i do wear my socks as well and my Daughter just loves her 6 pairs .. everytime i finish a pair of socks my daughter wants to take them away and so does my two sisters and my Mother .hee hee I know they are so pretty when you finish them but it's really nice to see them on and know that you've made them and someone else has appreciated them to wear them.
cloud9

threesmom
11-02-2007, 04:08 PM
When I finally finish my first almost done pair, I fully intend to wear them! I keep buying sock yarn with the thought of wearing the socks, and have even purchased shoes with this intention .... now if I could only finish a pair:aww:

Denise in Michigan
11-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Anyways, the main thing I want to know...do you actually wear the socks that you knit? Or just make them because their pretty. I just hate to think of wearing holes into all of this work.
I knit socks to be worn, and worn out eventually. After you have knit more pairs, you will still have favorites, but it will not break your heart to think of a well-loved and well-worn sock with a hole in it. You will love and treasure the people for whom you knit them and who wear them, as they love and treasure you, more than the socks. When the socks are gone, you can and will knit more.

dustinac
11-02-2007, 05:57 PM
I love to wear my hand knit socks...they are very cozy and comfy... I haven't found the perfect shoe yet cause I like my boots with heels :teehee: ... but I still show them off with look at these... I haven't had any get holes yet but someone told me they have to get holes sometimes in order for you to be able to wear all your socks :happydance:

...dotty...
11-02-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm definitely wearing MY handknit socks.........I show them more respect than my store-boughts......I mean, I don't run around without shoes, getting the soles really dirty (my housekeeping directly reflects the amount of sock-knitting I get done! :aww: ), but I LOVE catching a glimpse of them during the day and knowing that I MADE those lovely socks ! Sometimes I forget, like the other night when a non-knitting friend was over, and we were gabbing, and when I crossed my legs, sitting, she exclaimed "oh, look, you're wearing some of your socks !" I really hadn't done that on purpose, but it was such a nice surprise !
I'm not so crazy about all the hand-washing, and drying I'm going through lately, so I'm really gonna stock up on some SuperWash Wool, and then just make sure they're treated gently in a lingerie bag in the washer and dryer.........but YES...WEAR YOUR SOCKS ! Pretty soon, you'll have made so many that you won't be worried about wearing them out.......like Dustinac says, you'll NEED to wear them out, to have an excuse to knit MORE !

auburnchick
11-02-2007, 08:49 PM
i wear mine too!!! In fact, I took all of my knit socks to work this week to show some coworkers who are expressing an interest in knitting. The funny thing is when they ask me if I'll make them a pair. I politely decline because they are more difficult to knit, and I don't want to take a chance on them not fitting the other person properly.

I always write down how many rounds for each section of the sock so that when I start the second one, I've got it matched nearly exactly. If I'm using self-striping yarn, I'll write down which point I started and will even measure how much I grabbed to cast on with. I like my striped socks to match.

Don't give up on that second sock! You'll be so proud of yourself afterward!

monzogary
11-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I wear mine whenever they are clean lol. I have to make more so I can wear knitted socks more often! I love how they fit and feel on my feet, but I also love to knit them.

katiebug081504
11-03-2007, 01:16 AM
I finished my second sock (not the matching one) tonight! However, I think I did my grafting backwards. I can feel it on the bottom of my foot? Is this normal? Or should I feel it on top? Or at the tip of my toes?

Jan in CA
11-03-2007, 01:39 AM
I just let my sock colors fall where they may... consider them fraternal twins. ;)

Denise in Michigan
11-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Katiebug, the graft should come at the tip. Could that be the woven-in end you feel? Maybe experiment and re-weave it to a different spot.

losnana
11-04-2007, 04:22 PM

I do the same thing, except I use ML and KP Options, so I have to switch to a shorter cable without the needles after each section. It is still the easiest way for me to insure that I don't come down with SSS and that the socks match.

And I definitely wear them. So far, I've only knit socks for myself, 2 of my dgds and the dgs of my secretary. The kids all think hand-made socks are amazing!!

kindermen
11-04-2007, 05:23 PM
I wear my socks to work. I am a nurse and the people I work with always want to see what socks I have on. In the course of wearing my socks to work and knitting during my lunch break(If I happen to get one that day!)Several nurses have started to knit and we have a group of knitters that bring their knittting to work to show it off and get help. It has been fun!! Try knitting on KA's 9" circulars, I LOVE them.