PDA

View Full Version : substituting seed stitch by 2x2 rib

jennylozano
11-02-2007, 08:17 PM
What do you guys think would happen if in a pattern that says to work a couple of inches of seed stitch for the edge is substitute by 2x2 rib. I know seed stitch will keep flat and stable and that the rib will be stretchy... but would it be OK if I substitute seed st by rib?? It is for a girl's cardingan and I think she will like the rib st. better than the seed st. Thanks!:)

happyshineypeople
11-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Seed stitch is stretchy, so I can't imagine that substituting 2x2 rib would be a problem. Hopefully an expert chimes in. Just my .02.

cspooks
11-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Sure you can substitute, but check the gauge of the ribbing first. A drag I know, but it may change the number of stitches you need. I substituted one ribbing for another once only to find out my new one came out much bigger so the edge was all ruffly instead of pulling together. Your 2x2 rib should pull in quite a bit more than the seed stitch.

Marj
11-03-2007, 05:53 PM
A lot of patterns call for doing a rib edge with a needle two sizes smaller than what you use on the rest of the garment. Because otherwise the rib will look bigger than the rest.

wiredqs
11-04-2007, 01:55 PM
It's your sweater, do a swatch, see if you like it. I've called off the knitting police.lol
It's a craft, not a factory assembly line, try it out and make it your own. best of luck