PDA

View Full Version : unto double pointed needles

molovekayak
11-02-2007, 08:47 PM
so I went from knitting in the round to double pointed needles and it went all wrong. Do I knit with all four needles or just the three? I am so bummed cuz now my hat is all messed up. Help!!!

Slim
11-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Some people prefer to knit with a set of 4 dpn's and some prefer a set of 5. I prefer to use 4, dividing the stitches evenly among 3 needles, and working with the fourth. Amy has a good video here. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques) It takes a little getting used to, but keep trying and you'll get it!

brittyknits
11-02-2007, 10:16 PM
A couple of hints--
The first is that, as slim said above, however many needles you have, 1 is the working needle and the rest are what you work is on. So if you are using 4 dpns, the work is divided onto 3 of them, and the 4th is your working needle. Now, which one is which will constantly be changing, because let's say you have your work on needles 1, 2 and 3, and your working needle is 4. You are going to take needle 4 and knit the stitches from needle 1 onto it. Now needle 1 becomes your working needle. Now take needle 1 and knit the stitches from needle 2 onto it. Now needle 2 becomes your working needle.

Also, just think of the set of dpns as a circular, broken up. Your work will still be done the same way, and in the same direction, just instead of the circle you had before, it will look more like a triangle (or a square, if you are using 5 needles-- then 4 will be the ones your knitting is on, and the 5th will be your working needle). But that triangle or square is only temporary!-- you project will go back to it's round shape the moment it comes off of the needles.

rosefields
11-02-2007, 10:24 PM
This may sound obvious, but if you concentrate on the stitches and not the needles, it will be easier to knit with the dpns. It takes time, but you will get the hang of it! :thumbsup: