PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Budget Yarns

happyshineypeople
11-02-2007, 09:01 PM
I'd like to hear from other knitters who - like me - are on a budget. What are some of your favorite inexpensive yarns?

I like (and use a lot of) Caron Simply Soft, Lily Sugar & Cream Cotton and Lion Jiffy.

I strongly prefer acrylics because with 2 little kids running around I don't have the time or patience to baby projects once they're completed. Whatever I make has to be durable and machine washable.

Which types and brands do you prefer?

monzogary
11-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Well, I use Lion brand Wool Ease for things that need to be easy care as well as Bernat Softee Baby and JoAnn Sensations Rainbow Boucle for the pretty colors.

stirsmommy
11-02-2007, 09:05 PM
I like KnitPicks yarns. They do have superwash and blends. Depending on what you are looking to make I also like Plymouth Encore.

suzeeq
11-02-2007, 10:20 PM
I use about anything, depends what I find - Lion yarns, simply soft, Bernat, and I get knitpicks when I want to splurge on something.

Pat in Ca
11-02-2007, 10:50 PM
I recently tried the red heart "soft yarn".. it is very similar to Simply soft..and I really liked it.. also a lot of people have said they liked the new Vanna's choice yarns... lots of colors and soft..on Joanne.com they have customer "reviews" of each yarn.. kinda like how Amazon.com has people "review" their books.. it is very informative

lelvsdgs
11-02-2007, 11:04 PM
I recently tried the red heart "soft yarn".. it is very similar to Simply soft..and I really liked it.. also a lot of people have said they liked the new Vanna's choice yarns... lots of colors and soft..on Joanne.com they have customer "reviews" of each yarn.. kinda like how Amazon.com has people "review" their books.. it is very informative

I am just finishing up a sweater using the Red Heart Soft Yarn and I've loved using it. The colors are really nice and the yarn really is soft.

dreamsherl
11-02-2007, 11:34 PM
I use Plymouth Encore.

cheley
11-03-2007, 09:16 AM
I recently tried the red heart "soft yarn".. it is very similar to Simply soft..and I really liked it.. also a lot of people have said they liked the new Vanna's choice yarns... lots of colors and soft..on Joanne.com they have customer "reviews" of each yarn.. kinda like how Amazon.com has people "review" their books.. it is very informative....I just had a "terrible time" with Vanna's....started a tod sweater (with 3 colors) worked up very stiff and the fibers split...some feedback (here on KH) suggested maybe I got a bad batch..So after lots of emails to LB, they are replacing the yarn with Cotton Ease.The stuff I bought feels like "crafting yarn"...

Doublereeder2
11-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I also like Caron Simply Soft and use Lion Brand Cotton Ease and Red Heart Luster Sheen. I use Coats and Clark Senso crochet cotton (and blensds) for socks. Very inexpensive. KnitPicks Essentials sock yarn is also very inexpensive and good too.

Sunny_Singer
11-03-2007, 10:42 AM
I like Carron Simply Soft. For a tight budget and depending on what I am making, Red Heart Supersavers have come in quite handy. I tend to raid clearance tables - found some Bernat Black Lites for $1.50 a skein the other day.

cinnamon_girl
11-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi,
For less expensive yarns that are also washable I like Caron Simply Soft and Plymouth Encore.
I've actually had my thumbs itch and burn and eventually develop some splitting skin, like in the winter if your hands get really dry and chapped (sorry if that's TMI) whenever I've used Lion Jiffy for any length of time. By the time the project was done my hands were a mess.
I also didn't particulary like the Vanna's choice. I started to knit up a scarf and also found it to be a bit too stiff for my taste.

knitgal
11-03-2007, 11:47 AM
I have heard very good things about Plymouth Encore, but I don't have it readily available to me. I usually use Patons Shetland Chunky for large projects, like afghans. It's very soft and it comes it a million colours.

suzeeq
11-03-2007, 01:24 PM
When a yarn that feels soft in the skein feels stiff and rough when knit up, it's at too tight a gauge. Use a needle a couple sizes larger than on the label and it will be nice and soft, and not all that loose.

wednesday
11-03-2007, 04:26 PM
I love Lion Jiffy, works up easy and quick and I hate to admit it but I toss in washer and dryer inside out.