PDA

View Full Version : Looking for something comparable to Mmmm

stirsmommy
11-02-2007, 09:46 PM
I am looking for something that is yummy and warm as Malabrigo but that is washable. I want to do Silver's scarf for my oldest but he isn't know for keeping things clean and I know that 18 there is not a chance he will hand wash anything but he loves the malabrigo one I am doing for my guy. Also I need to be in a grey/black colorway or he won't wear it. Heaven forbid it call attention to him!
Thanks

cinnamon_girl
11-02-2007, 11:11 PM
It's hard to beat Malabrigo for softness. I wore my Malabrigo scarf today for the first time and it was so warm and soft on my neck. :heart:
But if you need washable and soft I have seen a lot of really nice scarves done in Silver's pattern in Caron Simply Soft. I don't think I'd trust an 18 year old with handwash either. :wink:

The.Knitter
11-02-2007, 11:19 PM
...or if you want it to go quicker, you could also do the Palindrome in Caron Simply Soft Quick. It would be a nice thick, warm, washable scarf then and still be washable and machine dryable as well. AND it is reversible as well.

brendajos
11-02-2007, 11:39 PM
I don't know of anything that will be similar to malabrigo AND will be washable, off the top of my head. However, I think that Dreams in Color yarns (http://tinyurl.com/3dhy43) has some really yummy stuff. I am not sure you would find a color that he will like but there are a couple that are fairly muted. They really are super soft and squooshy. It won't look the same, by any stretch of the imagination, but still perty!

oooh another thought is to use SWS like she uses in the palindrome pattern. The Natural Slate (http://tinyurl.com/34ptmm) might work semi-perfect for him!

eta... oh wait... SWS won't work. :doh: it isn't washable. Sorry about that. It was the one I thought of that was most like the texture of Malabrigo. *sigh* sorry.

debb
11-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted might work

jess_hawk
11-03-2007, 05:05 AM
Find some superwash merino. Do they make superwash alpaca? Cause that would be great too.

Karrying Kolor
11-03-2007, 07:21 AM
I'd recommend Paton's Decor...Wool/Acrylic blend, but you would never know it! It's like a 3 ply cotton candy...Not an easy knit, it's splitty, but YUM!

I bought it at a LYS to sub a Vogue pattern's yarn for a toque and gauntlets for my niece (who's not going to hand wash anything!) At gauge, the stitch definition and loft are perfect (that Mmmmmm effect.)

Chances are good that you could find it in colors your son would care to wear.

Good luck with your project!

Lucky Son!

iwfinley
11-03-2007, 07:37 AM
I have three stepsons in college (twins who are 19, and a 22 year old) -- hand washing is DEFINITELY not the in the cards for your scarf, somehow I doubt that machine washing is, either, unless he drops it in a mud puddle. . . . . A couple options would be to go to your LYS or craft store and pick something out in person that would work OR just go with the original yarn and when your 18 year old comes to visit, hand wash it for him unless he lives with you and could could just grab it and hand wash it some evening for him. Just an idea. . . .