PDA

View Full Version : Opinion about a vest I'm knitting

Songbirdy
11-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Okay... I'm stalling on a project and I think its because I am not looking forward to knitting the back.

Its a simple vest, with a U-neck collar. However, the knitting isn't simple. I love the pattern, its got a nice series of celtic knots up the centre, along that a faux cable of 2 sts, then a cable of 8 sts, and another faux cable, and something I call a "caterpillar" pattern along the edges. The Celtic knots are worked over 32 rows, for 3 repeats.

Anyhow, the directions had you knit up the front first. I didn't bother to read the directions for the back.

Basically it says to repeat the entire front for the back and essentially change some of the shaping.

I realize that this is one of the features that set off home-made from store bought sweaters...

But I don't want to! And yet, I want it to look pretty from both directions.

So... any recommendations? I'm not on Ravelry or I thought I would search it there and I'm thinking it will be awhile till I get there and I would like to finish this up sooner than later.

Part of me was thinking of running the caterpillar, then the faux cable, 8 cable, faux cable, then omitting the Celtic knots for either stocking sts or more caterpillar sts, then repeat the faux, 8, faux, and the caterpillar...

Or just doing it all caterpillar which would mean I get the project done... but it would be boring... But I could likely finish the project by next weekend...

What do you think?

The pattern is the Aran Accent Vest on this page here: Cables Pattern Book (http://www.patonsyarns.com/patternbook.php?PBS=500846)

KnittingNat
11-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Will it look good the way you want it? Will it suit the pattern on the front? I would do the whole thing , i think. I like symmetric things, i guess :shock:

cspooks
11-03-2007, 05:07 PM
It seems like you just want to eliminate the Celtic knots on the back? I would think that would look fine, although I'd do some kind of pattern rather than just stocking stitch. However, changing the cables will probably affect your gauge, so watch out for that!