PDA

View Full Version : Puddle Pad Pattern

mimi
11-03-2007, 02:30 PM
My daughter emailed me and asked me to knit her a wool puddle pad for her 8 month old daughter. A puddle pad, I discovered, is like a mattress protector, but it is supposed to be better for the baby because it is not made of pvc. She called me and explained it is felted. Anyone ever heard of this or know of any pattern or wool or size or anything ?

samm
11-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi there! I've not heard of puddle pads, but have knit woolen longies for my little grandson. To felt anything you must use pure wool, not superwash, because you need it to shrink. Your daughter would likely know how big she wants it to be, and you'd have to stitch a swatch and felt it to figure out how large to knit the thing. I'd likely crochet it, myself, to felt, cause it's quicker for me, and felts up thickly. I like Plymouth Galway for felting, but there are lots of wools out there. :O) Good luck with this! Did you look online for puddle pads??? samm

Jan in CA
11-04-2007, 03:32 PM
My guess is any large rectangular piece of felted fabric would work. One caution though.. a lot of wool is NOT soft and babies have tender skin so choose carefully.

msoebel
11-05-2007, 11:05 AM
My guess is any large rectangular piece of felted fabric would work. One caution though.. a lot of wool is NOT soft and babies have tender skin so choose carefully.

But most mattress protectors are placed UNDER the sheets...so this shouldn't really be an issue. But I don't think I would want to knit anything so BIG...

mimi
11-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Thank you all for your ideas. Samm, I did look online before I posted here but with no luck. Ingrid, I figured the puddle pad would have to go underneath the sheet but over the mattress, but it still should be pretty big, and Misty, I agree with you , I really don't want to knit anything that big and boring. Sooooo, what my daughter and I came up with was for her to go to a thrift shop, pick out the biggest wool sweater she could find, open it up all the way, and felt it. Solves the problem, and I can use my time to knit more things for her lovely baby. Thanks to all of you for your input !

samm
11-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Great solution! Even if she needed to felt a few and stitch them together it would be better than knitting something huge! Can you imagine how big it would be to felt down to cover a mattress!? YIkes! samm

Jan in CA
11-05-2007, 08:02 PM
But most mattress protectors are placed UNDER the sheets...so this shouldn't really be an issue. But I don't think I would want to knit anything so BIG...

Oh duh..good call! That is a lot of knitting especially for felting!