PDA

View Full Version : A few questions from a fairly new knitter...

Mrs.K.Nitt
11-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Hey! So can I take my needles on a flight? I'm going to CA on a business trip and its quite a long flight...so why not knit? But I have a feeling the answer is no lol

Also, can I knit without double-pointed needles? Kinda stuck in the house and I wouldn't mind teaching myself how to knit socks.

Last question! What are some good projects I can do as a fairly new knitter?

knitpurlgurl
11-03-2007, 04:24 PM
From my own experience, if you take plastic or resin needles, they will usually allow it. The aluminum or nickle-plated they usually have a problem with.

As a fairly new knitter myself, dishcloths, afghans, scarves, and hats are terrific starters! I have been knitting anything rectangular! I figure once I feel very comfortable with my stitch tension and the different types of stitches, I'll progress onto intarsia, fair isle, sweaters, and socks! I want to try everything eventually!

Mrs.K.Nitt
11-03-2007, 04:27 PM
thanks! :yay:

shortnsweetly
11-03-2007, 04:54 PM
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

This website lists everything you can bring, and knitting needles are listed as ok. Its best to travel with shorter bamboo needles. When I went to Florida I brought metal, and they were allowed on, I was just slowed down in security.

Also, double pointed needles are really best for socks. They aren't nearly as scary as they look. There may be several needles on the project, but you're still only knitting with two at a time.

Good luck!

suzeeq
11-03-2007, 05:36 PM
You can knit socks on one or two circular needles. I don't know if it would be easier for socks than using dpns or not, but I like the method for sleeves.

Plantgoddess+
11-03-2007, 06:26 PM
I just flew round trip from Spokane Wa to Albany NY with my knitting in my carryon with no problems. My husband who flies weekly say Spokane is the worst airport he's been through for security. They always make him completely unload his carryon. They are very thorough. I had a few looks from the stewardesses but that's it. I took lucite double pointed needles size 2 and size 17 metal circular.

suzeeq
11-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, Spokane is about the worst. Even before 9/11 they had the metal detectors tuned so finely they would about catch the metal in your fillings. I flew out of there a couple years ago and had no problem with my needles. I think I had plastic/resin ones, but might have had my work on the metal ones, can't remember.

March_girl16
11-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Shes right on plastic needles or resin needles are allowed. :knitting:

starburst
11-03-2007, 07:21 PM
haha...wait, Spokane has an airport?! :cool: I'm just kidding :)

Knitting_Guy
11-03-2007, 08:01 PM
I prefer using a circular and Magic Loop instead of DPNs, but I'm kinda weird that way. :mrgreen: