PDA

View Full Version : Buttons, buttons, who's got the buttons?

Mommy22alyns
11-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Why are good buttons so hard to find??? I am finishing up my IK tilted duster and I'm hoping to wear it to my knitting class Wednesday. I need 4 buttons, size 1 1/4" - 2 just clear plain plastic, but I need 2 real stunners for the front of the sweater. Wal-Mart, my "L"YS, and Michael's all turned out to be big busts. I don't have a whole lot of options, period, and almost everything is 40+ miles away. I have to have just the right buttons for this, I'm sure you understand. ;)

Where do you get your buttons? Especially those of you who aren't close to any good yarn/craft shops?

Ingrid
11-03-2007, 05:54 PM
I've had good luck finding buttons at Joann's, even though their yarn stock is virually nil.

I'm sure there are tons of places on line, though, but I guess you don't want to wait that long, huh?

laptop_knitter
11-03-2007, 06:24 PM
I go hunting in the charity shops for icky clothes with nice buttons - cheap, and you can get great buttons and lining material out of it

starburst
11-03-2007, 08:16 PM
I second the Joann's motion. Fabric stores tend to have a greater selection of buttons that regular craft stores

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-03-2007, 08:44 PM
I have my grandmother's tin of buttons.. mostly left-overs that she'd take from clothing and a few are still new on the cards.
Some of them though-- are only maybe one or two of the same button. I do remember loving to sort the buttons when I was a kid though. :D

I also used to buy neat buttons when I saw them years and years ago. I did a lot of sewing when I was young and if I found them on sale.. I'd buy them.

I do second the 'look at old clothing you don't wear anymore' or junky clothing at thrift stores.. the older buttons are much nicer than what you'll find now- they seem to use 'stock type' of buttons- very litte variety. And, not very nice.. most buttons seem to be just 'plastic.'

Of course, I'm fortunate to live where buttons and buttons are sold in our fabric market- but, I assure you-- I will be buying lots of buttons before I leave here- so, I'll have nice buttons for 'future handknits'...
Honestly, if there is a 'thrift store' go check there.. looking only FOR BUTTONS.. Suits have large buttons.

Lady Violet
11-03-2007, 09:13 PM
i recently went to a "craft fair" held at someone's home. it was just a bunch of neighbors, but they were all extremely professional. there were quilters, painters, sculptors, and some potters. one of the potters had a great selection of buttons that she had made and painted. you can bet i got some. you could check your local paper and grocery store bulletin boards for craft fairs. they're always full of surprises! :)

stirsmommy
11-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Somewhere I hadn't thought to look before but actually saw some was at an antique mall. They had tons of gorgeous old buttons and for the most part weren't more than the ones at the fabric stores and they were more unique. My LYS has gotten in a huge selection of pewter buttons. I need to make a sweater just so I can have some.