PDA

View Full Version : Shrunken Pain

Ironlung21
11-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Dear KH - ers,

Am in need of cheering up. Much cherished / prized cable cardi - bit the dust today. Blasted washing machine went straight into a full wash cycle when it was supposed to be doing a slow and gentle spin. Several times overnight. End result = cabled cardigan result of many hours work and much pleasure wearing is now felted and shrunken. Fit only for munchkins.

Do these things only happen to me? Sniff.

Knitting_Guy
11-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Wow, that's a real bummer. I don't think I would trust any wool item I knit to a machine. Acrylics, no big deal, but wool, never.

Ironlung21
11-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Never a-f'ing-gain will I put anything in the machine - that's for certain. Looking on the bright side - which is hard in these circumstances as I have no one but my idiot self to blame - I can spend tomorrow afternoon buying some wool to make the whole things over. Not overly bright as sides go - but there you are.

Thanks all the same.

momwolf
11-03-2007, 08:26 PM
:roflhard: sorry can't help but laugh when you said it would fit a munchkin
Look on the bright side,at least it will knit up faster now that you have already knit it once:teehee:But I feel for ya :waah:all that work for a munchkin sweaterhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_6.gif.Do ya have a small dog?I think we need to see pictureshttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/99.gif

Ironlung21
11-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Really? Photos? Allow the interweb to see how much of an idoit I am?
Ouch - maybe tomorrow when I will hopefully have calmed down a bit.

The small dog suggestion is a good one - but alas I dont own a hound of any size. Might frame it and hang it over the washing machine as a reminder to wring things out by f'ing hand in future....

Oh grrrr.................

stirsmommy
11-03-2007, 10:05 PM
I think we may have the same washer. Mine has inexplicably gone into overdrive twice in six months. It agitated all night some how managed to make the water nearly hit boiling. Needless to say I have lost two loads of clothes fortunately nothing I have made but half dd's summer wardrobe the first time and all of my jeans the second! Good luck with the new cardi.

Ironlung21
11-04-2007, 10:46 AM

Plantgoddess+
11-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Ouch that hurts! I accidently did that with a sweater that I loved and fit perfectly and I still fume over it over a decade later.

The.Knitter
11-04-2007, 11:00 AM
So sorry all your work went ummm down the drain? Look on the bright side... at least you are going to have a winter project now. If it is any help, it looks like you did a wonderful job on this sweater and will do a great job on the next one too, I am sure!

SkyBluePink
11-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Dear KH - ers,

Am in need of cheering up. Much cherished / prized cable cardi - bit the dust today. Blasted washing machine went straight into a full wash cycle when it was supposed to be doing a slow and gentle spin. Several times overnight. End result = cabled cardigan result of many hours work and much pleasure wearing is now felted and shrunken. Fit only for munchkins.

Do these things only happen to me? Sniff.

Ouch! I feel your pain. Along the same lines, but not as serious: My very first knitting project was a scarf for my mom who was going to Germany in two days. It was knit in garter stitch in some god-awful novelty yarn--I did not know any better back then. Anyway, I knit and knit and knit until my fingers and hands cramped. Finally, I finished it in time for her to take it on the trip. She got a few compliments on it, which was nice for me. She gets back home and THROWS IT IN THE WASHER! I know they say acrylic can't felt, but this sucker felted. It was so ugly and matted. :waah: Mom felt bad and wanted me to knit her a new one! Hmpf! I did knit her a new one with the emphatic instruction to Febreze, not wash! Sheesh! Mamas!

That was my long-winded way of saying, yikes. My heart goes out to you! Get knittin'! :knitting:

losnana
11-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Did it felt enough that you can cut it into shapes for coasters, etc? They'd be pretty with the cables still showing. That way it isn't a complete waste.

Ironlung21
11-04-2007, 02:02 PM
What a brilliant idea = I can cut it up and make it into something else entirely.

Today I have learnt another knitting lesson. I have recently tidyed up knitting corner (you people with barns full of yarn are very lucky) so there was no way that the original pattern book could have gone missing. I have sworn to repeat this thing again. I have pulled the house apart looking for it - nowhere to be seen. Gone out of print and therefore not online and not at LYS (or John Lewis in local speak). I would describe myself as a little bit frantic mid afternoon. All mended now as I remembered I kindly lent it to someone. They found it festering unused under their bed. How rude!

So lesson one wring out your clothes and lesson two never let anyone borrow our pattern books. Photocopying is fine - long term loans not. At least not without a note in knitting corner book to remind you where they've gone.

Thanks for kindly words - I am still an idiot - but now a comforted idiot

ritaw
11-04-2007, 02:16 PM
I am so sorry for what happened. It looked like a lovely sweater.

SkyBluePink
11-04-2007, 02:45 PM
What a brilliant idea = I can cut it up and make it into something else entirely.

Today I have learnt another knitting lesson. I have recently tidyed up knitting corner (you people with barns full of yarn are very lucky) so there was no way that the original pattern book could have gone missing. I have sworn to repeat this thing again. I have pulled the house apart looking for it - nowhere to be seen. Gone out of print and therefore not online and not at LYS (or John Lewis in local speak). I would describe myself as a little bit frantic mid afternoon. All mended now as I remembered I kindly lent it to someone. They found it festering unused under their bed. How rude!

So lesson one wring out your clothes and lesson two never let anyone borrow our pattern books. Photocopying is fine - long term loans not. At least not without a note in knitting corner book to remind you where they've gone.

Thanks for kindly words - I am still an idiot - but now a comforted idiot

You are cracking me up!! :roflhard:

Debkcs
11-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Oooh, it was such a lovely sweater. Good luck with the new one!

msoebel
11-05-2007, 11:11 AM
You know what? I would let you knit me up one those sweaters!:flirt: It's so pretty!

I wouldn't let you wash it for me, but if you wanted to knit one for me, I am pretty sure you could talk me into it!:muah:

It was really lovely. I bet you will have fun knitting it up again!

Suziblues
11-05-2007, 11:25 AM
OH MY GOSH! You are cracking me up! I'm sorry, I know this is NOT a funny thing, but it's the way you're telling it I guess.
Hey, look at it this way: you're very creative, you have a way with words AND you do very nice work when it comes to knitting.
Maybe make something little, like something for your hair? Cut the cables lengh wise and make a hair thing?
I like your idea about framing it and hanging it over the washer!
i'm sorry this happened! :cry:
sue

Ironlung21
11-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Blimey - I've been off line for a couple of days and have had to wade through loads of things (mostly about this mysterious ravelry world of queues) just to find this again.

Look I just wanted to say a very big thank you for all these kind words. I have finished the knitting part of my latest cable nightmare - and can now legitimately begin the replacement for the shrunken one. Am trying to be more disciplined about finishing one thing before beginning another - and I think it is fair enough to count being on the making up as finished. It has been sooooooo long in coming. Would not recommend that anyone cables in bamboo - on false move and a thread comes loose. Nightmare. Anyway almost over and can now begin again the dear departed cardi - in proper wool that suits my 'robust' knitting style.

Much cheered - so thank you again.

ladyjessica
11-07-2007, 05:28 PM
That was a beautiful sweater, but I hope you have a great time knitting its replacement. Maybe you could make a bag out of the felted one to go with the new one you're making. Then you would be really stylish and the envy of all your friends (and us on here, as well). I hope we get to see pics of the new and finished products. :hug: