PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep yarn from twisting?

knitpurlgurl
11-03-2007, 09:20 PM
When knitting with 2 different yarns, how do you keep the two yarns from twisting together (not in the work, on the floor or wherever the skeins lay)? Thanks in advance.

Ingrid
11-03-2007, 10:13 PM
You can try to put each one in it's own baggie and leave the top open just enough to let the yarn through.

Also, when you turn your work, don't always do it in the same direction. This is something I tend to do, but if I turn it clockwise to work the next row and then counterclockwise on the next turn-around, the yarns don't get as twisted.

lelvsdgs
11-03-2007, 10:51 PM
You can try to put each one in it's own baggie and leave the top open just enough to let the yarn through.

Also, when you turn your work, don't always do it in the same direction. This is something I tend to do, but if I turn it clockwise to work the next row and then counterclockwise on the next turn-around, the yarns don't get as twisted.
Two great ideas! I didn't know that about the way you turn your work. I'll have to remember this.

redwitch
11-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Remember that if they twist around each other this doesn't actually affect your work.

suzeeq
11-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Yeah, it's okay if they twist on the needle while knitting; you can't tell when you're done.

The.Knitter
11-03-2007, 11:46 PM
I have things called "Yarn Barns" that I use when I am knitting. They hold a 50g ball of yarn perfectly. There is a hole in the top. You string the yarn through the hole in the top and then the yarn goes nowhere while you are knitting. It also keeps out the dust bunnies or cat hair. The Yarn Barn fits perfectly into the bottom of a tote bag. It can be purchased at Mary Maxim. They are not that expensive. www.marymaxim.com

gingerbread
11-04-2007, 06:59 AM
The yarnbarns are nice, but I made mine out of an old plastic coffee container. I just washed it out and then the top I put a large gromet on the lid. Popped the yarn inside and passed the yarn through the hole and there ya go a yarnbarn. Of course I decided I didn't like it because I couldn't take the yarn out once ya start the project. I still have them just in case I want to use it again.:roflhard: I am very frugal at times so if ya don't want to spend the money on the yarnbarn try the gromet and any can you like.:p

March_girl16
11-04-2007, 07:13 AM

these two ideas are great I'd love to try it

Knitting_Guy
11-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Avoid playing Chubbie Checker records.

Lisa R.
11-04-2007, 09:40 AM

:roflhard: :roflhard:

boo1
11-04-2007, 09:46 AM
. Of course I decided I didn't like it because I couldn't take the yarn out once ya start the project. :p

There has to be a way to get around this, but I haven't figured it out yet! I don't think I can. But hey, if we used coffee cans, couldn't we just cut the top and replace it with another? :think:

Jennmarie68
11-04-2007, 02:47 PM
What about when you are doing many colors, I'm doing a scarf right now that uses 3 colors at any one time, and I've done some that have 6 or more strings hanging. it's time consuming to keep untangling after every row. There needs to be a board with canisters that move back and fourth around each other to keep ecah strand in. Now if only I could figure out how to make it, I'd be rich!!!:balloons: But in the mean time, has anyone found a way to get rid of tangles when doing intrashia?

Debkcs
11-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Ya know, Mason, you crack me up all the time! A lot of these folks won't even remember ol' Chubby Checkers.

I found that rotating the balls of yarn clockwise and counter clockwise each turn works for me, but then I haven't any small children or cats that I'm forced to knit around.

Ingrid
11-04-2007, 02:55 PM
I think it's the nature of the beast. I just let the strands hang and pull them out as they get twisted. I've had yarns form a perfect braid at times. I have no clue how I did that, but it was pretty cool.

losnana
11-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Ya know, Mason, you crack me up all the time! A lot of these folks won't even remember ol' Chubby Checkers.

But a lot of us still do. Of course our memories are starting to fade.:roflhard:

Ingrid
11-04-2007, 07:03 PM
I just did the twist last summer!:lol:

The.Knitter
11-04-2007, 07:17 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

...but then I could not dance around the livingroom while I am knitting. Darn, you take all the fun out of it. Now I will have to sit here and surf the net while I am knitting I guess!!

;)

The.Knitter
11-04-2007, 07:20 PM
What about when you are doing many colors, I'm doing a scarf right now that uses 3 colors at any one time, and I've done some that have 6 or more strings hanging. it's time consuming to keep untangling after every row. There needs to be a board with canisters that move back and fourth around each other to keep ecah strand in. Now if only I could figure out how to make it, I'd be rich!!!:balloons: But in the mean time, has anyone found a way to get rid of tangles when doing intrashia?

Try using a bobbin for each colour. They are not expensive and you can get them at any knitting store, even Walmart carries them. The yarn does not get tangled because it is wrapped around the bobbin. Good luck!