PDA

View Full Version : The afghan from the hot place down below...

knitgal
11-03-2007, 09:27 PM
I was asked to knit an afghan for my BF's grandma for Christmas. I was quite happy to do so, and I went and picked out the yarn and got colour advice and spent time looking over patterns. I picked this Berroco Arctic Throw (http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/arctic/arctic.html) pattern. I am using Patons Shetland Chunky in a pale blue, a medium blue and a pink.
First of all I made a mistake somewhere in the beginning, which has led to more mistakes. The pattern has a lot of yarn overs which sort of help to mask the mistakes and they really don't show too much, but I know they're there. I'm finding this the most frustrating thing to knit and I was really looking forward to making it. It looks cute other than the mistakes, but...
Do you guys think I should keep going, rip it out and start again, or pick a new pattern?

knitncook
11-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Continue on. Your BF's grandma is not going to sit there and search out the mistakes. We see our own mistakes much more than others do. Unless of course you have my mother in which case she sees ALL my mistakes including those that even I didn't catch. But since I'm pretty sure your BF's grandma is not my mother then you're good to go. Just keep knitting. Just keep knitting. What do we do we knit knit knit.

tilllie
11-04-2007, 08:28 AM
I would say, rip it out if you are only a few inches into it...but if Grandma is a non-knitter and you don't say anything she will probably not notice and just be thrilled with it. I made this afghan, until I got "into" the pattern I put a stitch marker after each pattern repeat and count the stitiches after each yo row. Stitch markers are my friends! I use them all the time to help me keep my place in pattern rows. Good Luck!!

Plantgoddess+
11-04-2007, 10:59 AM
If you can get back on pattern count, I would say keep going. I'm doing a similar pattern and it got so off that I frogged back 18" to the start of the pattern rows and started over again. Mine looked like a drunk had done it, it had gotten so off track.