View Full Version : ...I am a big dork :)

11-04-2007, 12:04 AM
So I was randomly passing by a garage sale today, and I stopped to see what they had, because sometimes I like to raid jewelry stashes for stuff I can use in beading projects. (I've found some really cool stuff that way.)

This particular place didn't have much in the way of jewelry.

...it did have yarn.

Granted, more than half of the stuff isn't labeled. Granted, it's probably fairly cheapish name-brand yarn. BUT. It had some colors I didn't have yet -- lavender, and several things of white, and navy, and a sparkly teal -- and it was Very Not Expensive. Like, five small skeins and five larger skeins [some of which may be partial, but they aren't hugely depleted], in a zippable bag, for $4.

:woot: :happydance: :woot:

Sadly, I can't tell anyone in RL about this, because the primary reaction would be "...don't you already have enough yarn?" (why no, I don't. :teehee: ) But I figured you guys would understand the squeeee. *bounce* Yay new yarn to play with!

11-04-2007, 12:55 AM
I feel that you can never have enough yarn,& a deal like that is just:woot: :woohoo: :cheering: :yay: .

11-04-2007, 05:36 AM
I live in a big old house and I actually have a "yarn room" :mrgreen: .

but I would still buy more if it was "a bargain"!! lol

11-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Cool, congrats on the haul. I'll admit that I don't visit very many yard sales but the ones I have I have yet to find any yarn or other knitting related stuff. I did get a really nice surf fishing rod at the last one though.

11-04-2007, 08:55 AM
That's amazing! It's true, people in RL don't always understand. They don't understand the dynamics of a yarn stash, but you can always come here and brag...WE understand!

Lisa R.
11-04-2007, 09:26 AM
JoAnn just had wool-ease on sale 2/$4, so dd and I bought (what I hope is) enough to work on an afghan or throw together. Dh just said, "Don't you have enough yarn?"

So, I say, "CONGRATULATIONS!" Sounds like a grand deal.

My response is that no, I don't need this yarn right now, and no, I don't have time to work on an afghan right now, but in January or February when I do have time, it will cost 2 or 2 1/2 times as much!!!

(It did sort of put a crimp in my goal to knit from what I have, but still...)

11-04-2007, 09:51 AM
I have yarn everywhere and unless I retire by the end of the year, I'll never use it all! (Well, that, and I keep buying more!) But hey, if I find a great bargain, I'm taking it home. :happydance:

11-04-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how this makes you a dork? Very confused :mrgreen:

11-04-2007, 10:40 AM
There is no such thing as too much yarn. I have a room in my barn with my stash. I go shopping out there several times a winter.
I replenish with yard sale finds also and then go buy new yarn to make something that I don't have the right yarn for.
So much yarn so little knitting time.

11-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Not a dork...just good shopping!!
About a year ago a craft store near my MIL was having yarn on sale for $1-$2 a skein so I asked if she would mind getting some for me.
She couldn't control herself (she loves a bargain) and spent $275!!!!
I don't know when I will ever get done knitting all that yarn :knitting: , but I'm going to have fun.
Enjoy your bargain!!:thumbsup:

11-05-2007, 12:20 AM
congrats on the new stash addition:happydance:

but what is RL?

11-05-2007, 11:20 AM
congrats on the new stash addition:happydance:

but what is RL?

Real Life, I think.

11-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Real Life, I think.

yep :) (My mom, for example, is kind of bemused by my knitting obsessions. She didn't get why I wanted to learn how to make socks, since "they're so cheap to buy!" :wall: )

...I'm so glad I have this site -- you guys understand things like buying Yet More Yarn, and making socks, and stuff :teehee:

11-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Dont you jut love it when things like that happen? I was in a dollar store the other day with a friend an I happened upon this huge bushel of Lion Brand Boucle yarn. And it was only a dollar a skein! I spent nearly all of my last paycheck. And now I have enough yarn to make afghans for every member of my family. I think Im going to need a bigger box for my stash soon.:teehee:

11-05-2007, 05:15 PM
:woohoo: yay for adopting unwanted yarn!!

11-05-2007, 06:47 PM
:yay: You are not a dork!:muah: I do this a lot actually. Estate sales are primo shopping for yarn and knitting supplies! I hit one last year that was selling yarn $3 a grocery bag full. I got 4 bags! Ok, I know my stash is bigger than Mars. But I don't care. It just makes it more fun to shop my yarn. I love going into my craft room (I am so lucky! I have my own craft room!) and just looking at all of my lovely yarn!
enjoy it!

11-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Not a dork at all! Just a knitter like the rest of us. :) I like to do charity hats this time of year, and yarn finds like yours are a perfect way to do it inexpensively. Have fun and happy yarn hunting! samm

11-06-2007, 09:25 AM
LOL! Hooray for you!! I love finding yarn goodies at yard sales!! Only my DM understands (she's a knitter too!) and everyone else has given up trying to control me :teehee:

Besides, my yarn stash is teeny compared to my *fabric* stash... now *that's* scary!! :mrgreen: