PDA

View Full Version : ...I am a big dork :)

isabeau
11-04-2007, 12:04 AM
So I was randomly passing by a garage sale today, and I stopped to see what they had, because sometimes I like to raid jewelry stashes for stuff I can use in beading projects. (I've found some really cool stuff that way.)

This particular place didn't have much in the way of jewelry.

...it did have yarn.

:inlove:

Granted, more than half of the stuff isn't labeled. Granted, it's probably fairly cheapish name-brand yarn. BUT. It had some colors I didn't have yet -- lavender, and several things of white, and navy, and a sparkly teal -- and it was Very Not Expensive. Like, five small skeins and five larger skeins [some of which may be partial, but they aren't hugely depleted], in a zippable bag, for $4.

:woot: :happydance: :woot:

Sadly, I can't tell anyone in RL about this, because the primary reaction would be "...don't you already have enough yarn?" (why no, I don't. :teehee: ) But I figured you guys would understand the squeeee. *bounce* Yay new yarn to play with!

redmom37
11-04-2007, 12:55 AM
I feel that you can never have enough yarn,& a deal like that is just:woot: :woohoo: :cheering: :yay: .

Sheridan
11-04-2007, 05:36 AM
I live in a big old house and I actually have a "yarn room" :mrgreen: .

but I would still buy more if it was "a bargain"!! lol

Knitting_Guy
11-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Cool, congrats on the haul. I'll admit that I don't visit very many yard sales but the ones I have I have yet to find any yarn or other knitting related stuff. I did get a really nice surf fishing rod at the last one though.

knitgal
11-04-2007, 08:55 AM
That's amazing! It's true, people in RL don't always understand. They don't understand the dynamics of a yarn stash, but you can always come here and brag...WE understand!

Lisa R.
11-04-2007, 09:26 AM
JoAnn just had wool-ease on sale 2/$4, so dd and I bought (what I hope is) enough to work on an afghan or throw together. Dh just said, "Don't you have enough yarn?"

So, I say, "CONGRATULATIONS!" Sounds like a grand deal.

My response is that no, I don't need this yarn right now, and no, I don't have time to work on an afghan right now, but in January or February when I do have time, it will cost 2 or 2 1/2 times as much!!!

(It did sort of put a crimp in my goal to knit from what I have, but still...)

boo1
11-04-2007, 09:51 AM
I have yarn everywhere and unless I retire by the end of the year, I'll never use it all! (Well, that, and I keep buying more!) But hey, if I find a great bargain, I'm taking it home. :happydance:

knitncook
11-04-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how this makes you a dork? Very confused :mrgreen:

Plantgoddess+
11-04-2007, 10:40 AM
There is no such thing as too much yarn. I have a room in my barn with my stash. I go shopping out there several times a winter.
I replenish with yard sale finds also and then go buy new yarn to make something that I don't have the right yarn for.
So much yarn so little knitting time.

sarahzknitty
11-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Not a dork...just good shopping!!
About a year ago a craft store near my MIL was having yarn on sale for $1-$2 a skein so I asked if she would mind getting some for me.
She couldn't control herself (she loves a bargain) and spent $275!!!!
I don't know when I will ever get done knitting all that yarn :knitting: , but I'm going to have fun.
Enjoy your bargain!!:thumbsup:

madametj
11-05-2007, 12:20 AM
congrats on the new stash addition:happydance:

but what is RL?

kellyh57
11-05-2007, 11:20 AM
congrats on the new stash addition:happydance:

but what is RL?

Real Life, I think.

Kelly

isabeau
11-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Real Life, I think.

Kelly

yep :) (My mom, for example, is kind of bemused by my knitting obsessions. She didn't get why I wanted to learn how to make socks, since "they're so cheap to buy!" :wall: )

...I'm so glad I have this site -- you guys understand things like buying Yet More Yarn, and making socks, and stuff :teehee:

drummerboi202
11-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Dont you jut love it when things like that happen? I was in a dollar store the other day with a friend an I happened upon this huge bushel of Lion Brand Boucle yarn. And it was only a dollar a skein! I spent nearly all of my last paycheck. And now I have enough yarn to make afghans for every member of my family. I think Im going to need a bigger box for my stash soon.:teehee:

mdog182
11-05-2007, 05:15 PM
:woohoo: yay for adopting unwanted yarn!!

Mulderknitter
11-05-2007, 06:47 PM
:yay: You are not a dork!:muah: I do this a lot actually. Estate sales are primo shopping for yarn and knitting supplies! I hit one last year that was selling yarn $3 a grocery bag full. I got 4 bags! Ok, I know my stash is bigger than Mars. But I don't care. It just makes it more fun to shop my yarn. I love going into my craft room (I am so lucky! I have my own craft room!) and just looking at all of my lovely yarn!
enjoy it!

samm
11-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Not a dork at all! Just a knitter like the rest of us. :) I like to do charity hats this time of year, and yarn finds like yours are a perfect way to do it inexpensively. Have fun and happy yarn hunting! samm

Jaxhil
11-06-2007, 09:25 AM
LOL! Hooray for you!! I love finding yarn goodies at yard sales!! Only my DM understands (she's a knitter too!) and everyone else has given up trying to control me :teehee:

Besides, my yarn stash is teeny compared to my *fabric* stash... now *that's* scary!! :mrgreen: