PDA

View Full Version : oh, won't you be my neighbor today?

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Just picture, Mr. Rogers taking off his 'go out in public cardigan off and hanging it up' to put on his 'everyday and well worn' in the house cardigan..

AND.. humor me for a minute.. I'm fairly new to Ravelry.. and I've noticed the 'friends' list that they have and I've had some invites to become friends.. and I always accept.. because..

I figure if someone wants to be my friend.. and until they've shown me 'non-friendship' behaviors.. well, 'heck' the more friends the merrier..

but, my question is.. is there something other than you have the list of names that are your friends when you log on? Does a light flash when 'your special friends' come on-line? Is there a secret handshake or something?
I'm just wondering.. because, I'm quite the newbie in the forum typing messages/etc. world.. and ravelry is the first time that I've seen a 'list of friends'.. of course.. what do I know??? IT could be 'what happens at all the other forums' that I don't know anything about and I'm just showing my ignorance and people are going to quickly put me on

THE IGNORE or SHUN LIST for asking the 'uncool question'.. ??
(hoping that there's not a shun or ignore list)

I think it's a neat feature-- but, I just wanted to know if 'something' more than I realize is available other than a nice little list on your information page listing all your 'friends.'????

UH.. and of course.. the information is probably typed in the 'information/read your rights/here's all the stuff' when I signed up the first time.. and if so, I'm also letting you know that I didn't read the rules either. :D

(Just started having trauma memories of a job that I used to have-- where if you asked A QUESTION.. someone would give you one of those looks and always say: It's in the manuel! AND, this manuel was about 4 inches thick of typed paper information. So, I learned to NOT ASK ANY QUESTIONS! :D)

PS.. A little Mr Rogers trivia.. his mom actually hand-knitted his cardigans that he wore on the show. :D

Ingrid
11-04-2007, 10:18 AM
:shrug: I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I invite friends and accept invitations with impunity. :teehee: There is a button that allows you to see what your friends have posted recently, so you don't have to wade through everything.

I don't understand all the groups, though. There must be 1000 by now.

Maybe you could start a Knitters who love Mr. Rogers group!:thumbsup::teehee:

Knitting_Guy
11-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Yeah there are a ton of groups. I started one called Trucker Yarns for truckers who knit or crochet but as of now I am the only member :rofl:

SkyBluePink
11-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Maybe you could start a Knitters who love Mr. Rogers group!:thumbsup::teehee:

I would totally join that group! :yay:

Ingrid, I'm with you. I don't know what the deal is with some of the groups. I'm a member of a few that look interesting, but I don't know what to actually do! :shrug:

Oh and I add whoever adds me. :mrgreen:

Ingrid
11-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah there are a ton of groups. I started one called Trucker Yarns for truckers who knit or crochet but as of now I am the only member :rofl:

You are unique, Mason!

dustinac
11-04-2007, 10:47 AM
:teehee: I think you can also chat with your friends if they are online when you are? I've never got this to work though when I tested it out... not sure what I was doing wrong...:shrug:
You can also keep up with what your friends are working on...I try to go through as many notebooks as time allows for me to once a week...so I can keep up with what everyone is working on and leave comments...I'm having a harder time keeping up right now though :teehee:

There is a lot of groups :passedout:

tootie44
11-04-2007, 12:03 PM

I actually know a trucker who knits...or rather, used to knit, he seems to have taken a break. Maybe I should send him over! And I guess he is not technically a trucker anymore so much as a office dude in charge of other truckers. (maybe why he has less time to knit?)

Knitting_Guy
11-04-2007, 12:10 PM
You are unique, Mason!

Yep, just like everyone else. :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
11-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I actually know a trucker who knits...or rather, used to knit, he seems to have taken a break. Maybe I should send him over! And I guess he is not technically a trucker anymore so much as a office dude in charge of other truckers. (maybe why he has less time to knit?)

Cool, send him on over. :thumbsup:

Ingrid
11-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Yep, just like everyone else. :rofl:

You're MORE unique! :rofl:

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks.. ya'll have explained more than I realized there was w/ the friends 'situation'.. but, I have accepted "FRIENDSHIP" with everyone..
Even if I don't know who in the world they are.. I figure until they do EVIL.. then, 'hey' they can be my friend, right?

I know.. we can start a group that doesn't understand the friend thing.. :rofl: :roflhard:

Mason.. Well, at least it will be easy to keep track of your 'friends' in your group.. since, you're the only ONE! ha haa... :D

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-04-2007, 05:27 PM
Mason, maybe you could change to group to:

Men who knit, who've ever ridden or driven a truck, men who have been passed by a truck on the Interstate, or men who have ever wanted to drive a truck.
:D
You'd get a lot more members. :D Maybe?

OR maybe just a MEN WHO KNIT group or just a TRUCK DRIVER group?

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-04-2007, 05:28 PM
:aww: Looks around... there's a chat feature in ravelry? I didn't know that either. Maybe that information was in the big MANUEL?

dawnk777
11-04-2007, 06:07 PM
I found someone on Flickr while searching for wicked sweater pictures and guessed that on ravelry her name would be the same, and it was. She lives in the northwest United States, but used to live in the same county where I live now, in Wisconsin! Small world.

Off to ravelry now, to check out latest activity on my friends' list.

Sandi
11-04-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm with you guys. I think there are allot of us out there that don't know the "ins and outs' of the groups thing.
And Knitting_Guy, I know there are other truckers out there that knit, be patience, so far you have been the only "guy" trucker that has been brave enough to admit he knits.
It's snowing here today, so it's a great day to stay inside, snuggle up on the couch with the other half, watch Nascar and knit!!!!!
:knitting:

Knitting_Guy
11-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Mason, maybe you could change to group to:

Men who knit, who've ever ridden or driven a truck, men who have been passed by a truck on the Interstate, or men who have ever wanted to drive a truck.
:D
You'd get a lot more members. :D Maybe?

OR maybe just a MEN WHO KNIT group or just a TRUCK DRIVER group?

LOL there's already a Men Who Knit group, from the website (I'm a member), so that won't work.

Hey, if I'm the only Trucker Yarns member that's ok, at least there won't won't be that many arguments. Still a few, but not that many.

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-05-2007, 06:33 AM
And, Mason if you're the only one in your group.. you'll always know who is SUPPOSED to bring snacks for the meetings! :D

Thanks everyone.. I've learned a lot from your postings.. see, everyone shared what they knew.. and we all learned more- especially me!

AND, let's all ADD each other as our friends.. :D

I still think we could start the group

FOR THOSE THAT DON'T UNDERSTAND THE FRIENDS thing.. we can sit at the back table in the lunchroom.... so, we can leave early when the others "THAT KNOW ALL ABOUT the FRIENDS group thing" point and laugh at us.. :grphug:

dustinac
11-05-2007, 10:46 AM
:aww: Looks around... there's a chat feature in ravelry? I didn't know that either. Maybe that information was in the big MANUEL?

When I first got my invite if the friend was online then it had chat under their name... now it looks like under edit your profile you can chose to let people chat with your or not... :oo:

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks.. dustin..
That would be a better use of the 'friends group' thingy.. :D
And since I've never noticed that- I must have mine clicked off or something? I'll check into it.

See what you learn from others? Thanks for the information.

SANDI.. I didn't know which 'Sandi' you were on ravelry. The name: Sandi (spelled the same) had a different location than you do here on KH. So, I couldn't add you as my 'friend'...

mdog182
11-05-2007, 05:22 PM
i like being able to see what your friends have recently posted because i always like to see new ideas....even though i have more ideas than time. i also like adding friends, if you go to the people tab, at the bottom it will say some thing like "look your neighbors" and it will show people who share the same projects as you....i like to look at their pages because more than likely we have similar styles/preferences. i do think a lot of the groups are pointless.....i really enjoy my sock knitter's anonymous group because they have the sockdown contest where you can win prizes just for finishing a pair of socks in two months! awesome