PDA

View Full Version : Garter Stitch RS vs. WS

PHeath
11-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Is there a right or wrong side to garter st & how can I tell?

If I were never to change colors how would I know right vs. wrong?

of troy
11-04-2007, 09:46 AM
both sides are identical

if you are knitting something with shaping and want to 'designate' a right /wrong side take a fine ribbing (1/8 inch) or some waste yarn and tie it onto FRONT.

otherwise, its reversible!

knitncook
11-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Which side do you want it to be? :) Since with garter you are knit knit knitting, it can end with either side being the right side. Measurement is going to be your key here. When it measures to where you want it then the side you ended with will be the wrong side. The start the directions for the next part from there.

PHeath
11-04-2007, 11:14 AM
It's for the log cabin blanket in Mason Dixon & they were very strict @ it being on a right side row. o me, o my. ;-)

knitgal
11-04-2007, 01:11 PM
That's exactly where I screwed up my log cabin! I still don't exactly know what I did...

MrsDavis3
11-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Even if I'm not changing colors, I pick a certain side to be the public side because of how the cast-on edge looks.

You have to pick a side if you are changing colors and you want control of how the stripes look. You will get a broken stripe on one side, a solid stripe on the other. Also, you have to start knitting at the correct end every time, or you will get ditches of stockinette i.e, if you change color and start at the beginning of the previous row instead of the end.

Think about it: knitting again along a knitted row in the same direction is just like turning it and purling, ergo...stocking stitch. If you want to keep in garter but change colors and start at the same end as the previous row started (for example, if you are bringing yarn up from a previous row and that's where the yarn is), purl instead of knit.

janettle
11-04-2007, 01:22 PM
To determine the right and wrong sides of a piece of knitting, hold up the piece and note where the cast-on tail is located.

If the cast-on tail is at the lower *right*, you are looking at the *right* side of the knitting. "Right is right" is a handy memory tool for me.

If the cast-on tail is located at the lower left, then you are looking at the wrong, or non-public side of the knitting.

OR, the pattern author may have a reason to choose sides differently. Look at the pattern carefully to see if the author has specified which side is right or wrong.

Jan in CA
11-04-2007, 01:29 PM
I've made two of these log cabin "squares" now so let me see if I can help..

It is correct that garter is the same on both sides, but when you pick up stitches you establish RS and WS. The side you pick up on is now the RS. If you turn it over after you've done a row or more of the new color you can see that you'll have a line of colored "dashes" that don't blend in..that is now the wrong side.

Always bind off with the right side facing you and work counter clockwise around the square and you won't have any problems. Here's a screenshot of front and back. Aside from the woven in bits you can see the line of "stitches" that denote WS.

Does this help?

suzeeq
11-04-2007, 01:52 PM
To determine the right and wrong sides of a piece of knitting, hold up the piece and note where the cast-on tail is located.

If the cast-on tail is at the lower *right*, you are looking at the *right* side of the knitting. "Right is right" is a handy memory tool for me.

If the cast-on tail is located at the lower left, then you are looking at the wrong, or non-public side of the knitting.

It depends on which kind of cast on you use, so that can get confusing.

Basically, you decide which is the right side. Look at the CO and first row and choose which looks `nicer'. It may not matter. Though likely the pattern has you knit X number of rows so you can pick up the right amount of stitches along the sides.