PDA

View Full Version : Need help with dd's Christmas present

stirsmommy
11-04-2007, 04:54 PM
My dd is eleven. She has requested that for either her birthday or for Christmas that her presents have a knitting theme. I decided we would do it for her birthday that comes first. I am trying to come up with ideas. She has hinted hard for options and I have to admit that I strongly considering it as I am getting tired of sharing. Then I was thinking of trying to either collect one skein patterns for her or get her a book to the effect. What would be some great yarns to include she is a huge alpaca lover and I know she loves my MMmm . She is a yarn snob like her mom. Should I get her some various weights? What sort accessories does every knitter need. I know that I haven't been knitting long enough to have them either.
Thanks for the help.

Samsam
11-04-2007, 05:59 PM
One Skein Wonders by Judith Durant is a great resource. I say get her yarns in different colors and fibers she likes, it'll still be a surprise!
Gauge tool, point protectors, cable needle, row counter...

she has good taste mmm alpaca

The.Knitter
11-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Mary Maxim has a nice little set. I can't seem to get the computer to accept the pictures, but this is what you need to know about this kit. Every knitter should have one of these. It is all the "accessories" a knitter would need to knit or finish a project. It includes: metal needle threader, small bag of plastic stitch markers, two sets of double point protectors, two sizes of row counters (for large and for small needles, two sizes of stitch holders, metal needle gauge, large plastic bobbins, small plastic bobbins, fold up scissors, large plastic darning needle, two sizes of metal tapestry needles (large and smaller). All this comes in a tapestry case that zippers closed. Throw it in your tote bag and you have all you need when coupled with your needles and yarn. You can also get the matching knitting needle case from the same place. www.marymaxim.com

Good luck and Happy Birthday to your dd.

The.Knitter
11-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Here are the pictures for you.

:woohoo:

stirsmommy
11-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I have just over a month to get it together. Somebody at church had some sample purses and she snag a patchwork one for her knitting bag. It had enough pockets for her phone, yarn, pattern, project and wallet. She is thrilled.

Knitting_Guy
11-04-2007, 08:52 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

stirsmommy
11-04-2007, 09:05 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Yeah I probably oughta. I am using some for my Silver's scarf and she keeps fondling it. I guess I should just be happy; she prefers knitting to boys! She has two bros that drive her nuts and they have rather taken the whole boy mystic away. Come to think of it if I had grown up around boys I don't think I would have been so boy crazy either.

The.Knitter
11-04-2007, 09:06 PM
http://www.marymaxim.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10003_50001_3074457345616771774_-1_3074457345616686286_3074457345616686289

this is the Mary Maxim site for the Knitting Accessory Kit. The price is $10.97 (CDN funds). Hope this helps.

stirsmommy
11-04-2007, 09:10 PM
The.Knitter,
Thanks for going to so much trouble for that for me.

The.Knitter
11-05-2007, 12:48 AM
No trouble. I love to see the young people learning to knit. It teaches them concentration and patience. It also gives them confidence. Way to go Mom for showing her that her hands and her brain can make beauty essentially from a piece of ummm string. Good work. I hope whatever you end up choosing is something she will cherish.

My Mom, God rest her soul, did all these crafts with yarn and sewing and plastic canvas. My house is overflowing with them. I only wish that when she was alive I had shown more interest. She would be so proud of some of the things I have turned out in the last several years. I am lucky though, she did live to see me make my first lace baby dress and she was so proud of it that she took oodles of pictures of it.

Keep up the good work. You are creating a bond with your daughter that even death will never break. : - )