PDA

View Full Version : Really Disappointed with Patton's SWS!

knitpurlgurl
11-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Okay, so I took another poster's advice and decided to give a cable knit scarf a try as a quick knit Christmas present. I had never used a cable needle before and was quite nervous, but the poster was kind enough to post a link to a very easy cable scarf and had reccommended Patton's SWS yarn for the project.

When I went to my local craft store to purchase the yarn, I fell in love with the feel of the wool/soy yarn. I absolutely loved the colors as well. I instantly knew why the poster loved this yarn so much. Then I started to knit with it. Everything was going pretty smoothly. It felt great in my hands. Then I noticed that it fuzzed quite a bit and unraveled alot. I thought perhaps this was my fault because I'm still fairly inexperienced and thought perhaps I was just knitting too tightly and causing the problems.

Then the yarn started to split in several places and without even getting through 1/2 of the skein, I had encountered 3 different places in the yarn where it had been knotted together. :waah:

I was so disappointed that I contacted Patton's via email. I so appreciate the poster's suggestion and pattern. Maybe she had much better luck than I did. :shrug:

ARGH!

suzeeq
11-04-2007, 09:25 PM
It's a very loosely spun yarn, so that's why the fuzz and splittiness; it's part of what makes it soft. Blunt needles help, so does knitting it on needles a little larger than 8 or 9. Some people experience several knots per skein, others don't.

brendajos
11-04-2007, 10:34 PM
hmmm... i generally think that sharper needles work better for avoiding splitting the yarn. The truth is that because of the makeup of the yarn it is prone to splitting, especially when knitting somewhat tightly.

The knots though.... i forget the knot issue every time i go to buy more of the yarn... and then i :wall: ... Seriously i would pay another dollar for the yarn if it would help them stop with the knotting. The worst I ever had was 3 knots in one skein and 2 of them were within a foot of each other. It truly is the worst thing about the yarn. it would seem that if i get at least one knot in nearly every skein there is a problem with how they are skeining the yarn.

suzeeq
11-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Oh right, I guess sharper tips would be better.

It's not how much you pay for a yarn whether it has knots or not. Some cheap yarns have none, while more expensive ones can have a lot. It's just how it's skeined up in the manufacturing process, and seems to be industry wide too.

brendajos
11-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Oh right, I guess sharper tips would be better.

It's not how much you pay for a yarn whether it has knots or not. Some cheap yarns have none, while more expensive ones can have a lot. It's just how it's skeined up in the manufacturing process, and seems to be industry wide too.

lol I am not so daft as to believe it is the cost that is the problem... i am just saying that i would pay more if they would freakin' solve the problem.... i was being facetious.

phisch
11-05-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm using SWS for a clapotis right now. I have used 6 balls of SWS so far, but only one had a knot. Annoying as can be, you know? It wouldn't really be half as bad if they at least tried to make it so that the colors were somewhat close. What I ended up doing is just cutting it around the knot and starting with another portion with a matching color. More to weave, but at least it's working. I think. :D

Shandeh
11-05-2007, 12:32 AM
I think that particular yarn felts, so you could cut the knot and do a felted join to make it a continuous strand. Amy has a video here on our site on how to do that.
It's on this page - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips
Just scroll down until you see "Joining the Same Color Yarn"

redwitch
11-05-2007, 01:24 AM
The problem with knots is not always the joining, even though with long rows you would sometimes have to undo a lot of stitches to get back to the side for those people who like to join at the side of flat work... when the colour in the wool is not uniform, a join means that you have to search for the next point in the strand that is the same colour, and after you have started there and knitted again, when you get to the end of that colour strand you have a piece left over that may not match up at the ends to the end you have on the knitted piece.

Curly_Toot
11-05-2007, 02:08 AM
Yeah, knots are irritating... unfortunatley it usually just depends on where they were in the manufacturing as to how many knots you could get in one ball... most of the time you'll be fine but then you might get one ball that has a couple. It sucks!

zkimom
11-05-2007, 07:10 AM
I've wanted to like the SWS, really. I go over and look at it at Michael's all the time. There are a few colorways that entice me.

However, after careful fondling I think the stuff is scratchy. So I haven't bought any.

Does it get softer with washing?

Otherwise, it may go on my "felt only" list.

MAmaDawn
11-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Stupid dreaded knots.... :tap::hair:

I've had some that have lots of knots and some that don't have many at all. But knots and problems with the yarn being consistent are why I have started to ball all my yarn.

Sorry you had such a bad time with it... you can take it back to the store too, I've done that, but i know you have already started, so that may not be an option this time for you...

Sanibelle
11-05-2007, 10:03 AM
I've wanted to like the SWS, really. I go over and look at it at Michael's all the time. There are a few colorways that entice me.

However, after careful fondling I think the stuff is scratchy. So I haven't bought any.

Does it get softer with washing?

Otherwise, it may go on my "felt only" list.

I am not a big fan of this yarn either... and if you use it to felt, please really watch it closely - it felts SOOOOO fast. I made a booga bag from it and I wound up giving it to my 8 year old neice. In less than 1/3 the time Noro Kureyon felts, this was less than 1/2 the size my Noro's felted down to.

I just made 2 of the palindrome scarves - I love the pattern, thank you Silver! and I used a lovely yarn I got a my local yarn store - Linie Candia. It is a dream to work with and the scarves and hats turned out great. It was not much more than the SWS and definitely worth the money. I have also made the scarf in Cascade Baby Alpaca - I loved working with this yarn - it is so soft and the scarf turned out great. There are lots of options for this scarf so don't give up on the pattern - it really is great and easy!

Shandeh
11-05-2007, 12:35 PM
when the colour in the wool is not uniform, a join means that you have to search for the next point in the strand that is the same colour, and after you have started there and knitted again, when you get to the end of that colour strand you have a piece left over that may not match up at the ends to the end you have on the knitted piece.
Precisely. I don't understand why Patons is not being watchful with that particular yarn, because the color changes are very important for your finished product.

suzeeq
11-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Noro is just as bad, I've heard.

Mulderknitter
11-05-2007, 04:20 PM
I am actually knitting a booga bag with noro, and am almost all the way through 3 skeins. Not a knot to be seen. It is spun a bit tighter so it doesn't pull apart that easy either. It is a bit rough though, so I am only using it for felting.

Shandeh
11-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Noro Kureyon is VERY rough. I cannot imagine wearing a garment made from it. :help:

Silver
11-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I knit my Palindrome scarf with Paton's SWS (maybe this is the scarf the original poster mentioned?)

I do love this yarn, despite it's issues. I just see it as a finicky yarn that's worth the effort. When I knit Palindrome, I would cut the yarn and do felted joins deliberatly where I could keep the striping pattern in perfect sequence. It was a bit of extra effort, and I had a fair bit of scrap left over, but I think it was time well spent. The scarf turned out beautifully with not a join in sight.

It's a bit on the scratchy side, but I can wear the scarf without a problem... well, when it's cold enough, which it never is. :teehee:

Mommy22alyns
11-06-2007, 01:51 PM
I love SWS, but it does require very careful monitoring if you're felting it! Sharp needles are a must for me with any yarn now, and I had no knotting problems with mine. It is scratchy like almost any wool, but still softer than Kureyon.